Cold smoking sausage to cook, crumble and add to a soup-Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
Well i tried Googling for the answer but couldn't find what I was looking for.

So I'll just lay it on out.

I'm making a pot of soup tonight, some Zuppa Toscana, and picked up some uncooked chorizo (wanted to try it with chorizo).
I also wanted to add some smoke flavor and since I'm not going to pour liquid smoke into it I was thinking about cold smoking the chorizos for a few hours then when I make the soup cook and crumble the meat.
I don't imagine there would be a problem with it but thought it a good idea to run this by you folks and see what you think/suggest.
Smoke On
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Mexican Chorizo, or Spanish (i.e. is it fresh/raw or dry cured & ready to eat)? If it's fresh, look at the ingredients and see if it contains nitrite. If so, it would be OK to cold or warm smoke. If not, it should be hot smoked (e.g. 250F).

With chorizo I would try it out and not be worried. Unless you are going to cold smoke for hours. Panther does have a good question tho.
My question is why not "hot" smoke it all the way. Then crumble it in to the soup already cooked. The flavor should still come through. Or I would think it would. Good luck and I will be curious how this comes out.
By the way most chorizo has wine or vinegar in it that will inhibit the forming of bacteria. Or that is what I have been led to believe.

Checked the package and yup, it has vinegar in it. Never knew that.

Didn't think about it before but there really is no reason I can't hot smoke then crumble and into the soup.

Thanks guys
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I think you are on the right track, hot smokin' would be the safer route, and would have the same outcome in your soup. Sounds really good!

You have to love this place because I'm learning so much I never would of thought about checking the chorizo for if it was cured or not. But your idea sounds great there Jim. I like the sounds of the soup your making too.

Thanks Mark.
I got finished smoking the chorizo about an hour ago over hickory and put it in the fridge to cool, then when i go to make the soup I'll crumble and go from there.
I was going to mix it up a bit and add mustard greens to the soup instead of kale but now I'm wondering if that was the right decision.
Need to run out in about half an hour so I might pick up some kale then, anyone have any opinions on kale vs mustard greens?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky