• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

AlbertaSmokerCowboy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Good evening everyone, my first post here, what a great forum to find, so much great information and knowledge.

I've recently moved to Alberta, Canada from the London, England with my family.
My father-in-law and I have decided to set up a cold smoker using his old stand up freezer, and purchased a "SmokeMiester with Extended Smoker".
I know it's slightly gimmicky but it's a cheap start and a good way of upcycling.

Winter is just beginning here, and they get properly cold ( it's -7, and supposedly mild, right now @ 2330)
How will this affect us cold smoking fish outside, any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. Both super novices.

Many thanks,

CB

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 25, 2018
E Tn
Welcome to the sight, I think the biggest issue is keeping stuff from freezing, not sure how the new equipment works , a few test runs will tell the story of the equipment vs the elements, I will bet it will work fine with some practice. They host pictures here so its super easy to do, also for a a few bucks a year you can get rid of the ads that pop up , its how I remember to renew my dues lol

Reactions: AlbertaSmokerCowboy

Coreymacc

Meat Mopper
Oct 7, 2020
Alberta,ca
You don't mention where you are from specifically but I'm from lac st Anne County and yes, minus 7 is mild. T-shirt weather in Alberta😄. Wait till it hits -50 like last year .

Welcome from a fellow Alberta boy.
Corey

Reactions: AlbertaSmokerCowboy

AlbertaSmokerCowboy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
You don't mention where you are from specifically but I'm from lac st Anne County and yes, minus 7 is mild. T-shirt weather in Alberta😄. Wait till it hits -50 like last year .

Welcome from a fellow Alberta boy.
Corey

Thanks Corey!
I'm just east of Calgary.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Welcome to SMF!
I can’t help you with the cold weather smoking, cause I’m in Florida.
But I know a lot of the guys smoke in freezing temps!
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads