• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AlbertaSmokerCowboy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Good evening everyone, my first post here, what a great forum to find, so much great information and knowledge.

I've recently moved to Alberta, Canada from the London, England with my family.
My father-in-law and I have decided to set up a cold smoker using his old stand up freezer, and purchased a "SmokeMiester with Extended Smoker".
I know it's slightly gimmicky but it's a cheap start and a good way of upcycling.

Winter is just beginning here, and they get properly cold ( it's -7, and supposedly mild, right now @ 2330)
How will this affect us cold smoking fish outside, any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. Both super novices.

Many thanks,

CB

Welcome to the sight, I think the biggest issue is keeping stuff from freezing, not sure how the new equipment works , a few test runs will tell the story of the equipment vs the elements, I will bet it will work fine with some practice. They host pictures here so its super easy to do, also for a a few bucks a year you can get rid of the ads that pop up , its how I remember to renew my dues lol

Reactions: AlbertaSmokerCowboy
You don't mention where you are from specifically but I'm from lac st Anne County and yes, minus 7 is mild. T-shirt weather in Alberta😄. Wait till it hits -50 like last year .

Welcome from a fellow Alberta boy.
Corey

Reactions: AlbertaSmokerCowboy
You don't mention where you are from specifically but I'm from lac st Anne County and yes, minus 7 is mild. T-shirt weather in Alberta😄. Wait till it hits -50 like last year .

Welcome from a fellow Alberta boy.
Corey

Thanks Corey!
I'm just east of Calgary.

Welcome to SMF!
I can’t help you with the cold weather smoking, cause I’m in Florida.
But I know a lot of the guys smoke in freezing temps!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky