Cold smoking buckboard bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbellard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
North Louisiana
0C6A2018-82C3-4C6A-B4DF-F6382ECD004F.jpeg
E1B72240-4E81-4B00-805B-9D886E418A56.jpeg
so after reading all about the Amazen smoker, I finally spent the $20 and got one.
I have buckboard bacon in the fridge just waiting to be kissed in smoke so today is the day!

I have a Bradley smoker that I and going to take the racks and put all on the top slot so that I can hang my bacon on the 6in hooks that I just got.
I have an oak/pecan mix of pellets that I use and will try to get the tube smoking.

I will keep y’all updated.

Reactions: smokerjim
Very nice. I have 2 slabs in my fridge on day 12. so I look forward to the results. stop in chat ifn ya got time to kill

0D3D3507-CA60-4393-B649-F46C58351A08.jpeg
9F5C434B-7D28-4908-9AE8-C45BFECCB8A2.jpeg
Flat,
Thx for saying hey. I’m in north Louisiana and it’s about 54 here right now so I thought I’d try this instead of getting my big smoker warmed up.
Tube is smokin away for sure. I have my Bradley door propped open just a bit. Hopefully it’ll stay lit.
I did light it with my weed burner haha. Why play around with a little propane torch.
Anyway hope you can have a great day to smoke your slabs soon.

Here is my setup right now.

wow, you got me jonesing to get mine going too.

A47BD660-E355-4363-9C40-1E971126C74B.jpeg
4F874F93-42DE-4565-8BF3-EA4D8E21BC40.jpeg
Was reading on here about smoking cheese so I thought why not?
We had some cheddar cheese sticks that my kids weren’t eating so I threw 3 of them in the smoker for about 1.5-2 hrs.
Here’s what they look like.

So back to to buckboard bacon, it’s looking good. I’ve loaded the tube 2 times and that thing gets hot!! Grabbed it with my hand on a section I thought wasn’t hot. It’s ok Ted, don’t worry I won’t come after ya, it was my fault. But Yowzers!
Been on now for almost 6 hrs. Using pecan/oak mix pellets and have door cracked on Bradley. Blue smoke not thin though. Hoping creosote wont be part of my story on here to where I’m asking y’all how to get rid of that taste. Here’s the latest pic. Gonna let it go maybe another 45 min to an hour then take it off.

Reactions: dernektambura
View attachment 386357 View attachment 386358 Was reading on here about smoking cheese so I thought why not?
We had some cheddar cheese sticks that my kids weren’t eating so I threw 3 of them in the smoker for about 1.5-2 hrs.
Here’s what they look like.

So back to to buckboard bacon, it’s looking good. I’ve loaded the tube 2 times and that thing gets hot!! Grabbed it with my hand on a section I thought wasn’t hot. It’s ok Ted, don’t worry I won’t come after ya, it was my fault. But Yowzers!
Been on now for almost 6 hrs. Using pecan/oak mix pellets and have door cracked on Bradley. Blue smoke not thin though. Hoping creosote wont be part of my story on here to where I’m asking y’all how to get rid of that taste. Here’s the latest pic. Gonna let it go maybe another 45 min to an hour then take it off.
Everything looks good. Quick question, are you blowing the pellets out and letting them smolder? My 12” tube full of pellets lasts a lot longer than what you are getting.

105C3A3A-5905-475C-A26A-7A3B21F4605A.jpeg
Hey there 610! I did use my weed burner and let them burn for about 5 minutes. They were lit.
I did get almost 7 hrs out of two full tubes worth. It did catch on fire once when I walked outside for a bit.

I just took the bacon off. Had good smoke I think the whole time just a lot of it. Bacon kinda smells smoky and maybe creosotey? Hoping not. I did wash it off under very hot water and rubbed it so here’s hoping I didn’t just make a $20 mistake (plus 7 days of my life)! Maybe it’s just that I’ve never done this cold smoking method and am not used to it’s smell. Regardless will put in fridge for the night and fry a slice or two up in the morning. I had already put the rest in ziplock and didn’t feel like taking them all out again. I will take pics when it’s sliced and let y’all see how it came out. Goodnight!

Certainly Looks Tasty!!
Hoping there's no creosote taste.
The Tubes can put out a lot more Smoke than a small Smoker, like a Bradley or MES can handle.

Be Back,
Bear

No creosote taste! I was worried and next time may try using my huge smoker and put tube in firebox.
But it is amazing and was only $.99/lb! Better than $3.89/lb that I can get whole belly for which I knownis cheaper than most. Wanted to try it.

OOOPs---You posted the flavor report while I was typing my comment:
Really Glad to hear your flavor was Great!!
The reason it's Hammy is because it's so lean.
If you have a Fatty portion, it will taste more like Bacon.
Also if you get a lean meaty piece of Bacon from a Belly, it will taste a little "Hammy" too.

Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky