Cold smoking buckboard bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
7D011B45-9A29-4192-837B-D4F423FFD14A.jpeg
Here’s another pic from my adventure! Loving the Chef Choice 615a slicer by the way. If you are thinking about getting one, they are worth the money for a good home chef, make bacon every so often kind of person. The serrated blade comes with it and I’ve had no issues so far cutting paper thin slices. Of course you learn to deal with the tail issue but I think that just comes with the territory.
I’ve had no issues and it’s fairly easy to clean. I also got the food grade grease to grease it back up once the parts dry from being hand washed.
Overall, a great time for $19 of pork butt. That made 13lbs of buckboard bacon out of two butts.

Hey JB,
You probably already know, but just in case---If you stick the meat in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours just before you slice it, that tail should not be there.

Bear

Thanks Bear! I’ve heard that and did in fact semi-freeze the meat before slicing. It wasn’t too bad and only happened on like 3 out of 7 pieces. Good reminder though! And great job on the bear carving! Just looked at it again and it’s pretty cool that you could take a log and turn it into a work of art. I’m definitely not creative like that.

Thanks Bear! I’ve heard that and did in fact semi-freeze the meat before slicing. It wasn’t too bad and only happened on like 3 out of 7 pieces. Good reminder though! And great job on the bear carving! Just looked at it again and it’s pretty cool that you could take a log and turn it into a work of art. I’m definitely not creative like that.

Thank You JB!!
Appreciate that.

Bear

When slicing if the slab starts to develop a tail I just flip the slab over and lead with the tail end for a few passes.

Nice looking BBB, jbellard. My wife was skeptical when I first made it but she now actually prefers it to belly bacon.

Thanks Braz! That’s exactly what I did. Pretty sure I’ve read a post or two of yours talking about that very thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky