Cold smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeaddict

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Sydney Australia
Ladies and Gents,

I am a newcomer to the SMC, came across it looking for answers on cold smoking in Sydney, where it never gets cold like US and CAN, but that means outside temp is always going to affect the smoke.  Are there ideas for delivering cooled smoke to a satellite smoke house please ? 

I hope to be a contributor to the forums, not just a seeker. And, looking forward to meeting interesting like minded people !

I have a Cookshack Smokette, a plywood satellite smokehouse (the subject of this enquiry), commercial slicer, 7L sausage stuffer, Kitchen Aid grinder. 'an a missus.......

Take a look at the Amaze-N-Smoker.  Lots of the members here including myself use them and love them... http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Also

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF!

Lots of ways to create cool smoke.  Some guys use a few hot coals in a cast iron pot with chips/chunks or a hotplate under the pan with chips/chunks.

I'm working on a new version of my AMNS that will produce enough smoke for fridge conversions, UDS and will probably work on an outdoor smoker like yours.  Not ready yet........

Ross has an outdoor plywood smoker and I bet he could help with this question too.

Todd

Smokeaddict,

Here is a perfect combination for cold smoking during those warm days in Ozz.

An A-MAZE-N-SMOKER & a frozen plastic jug of water (or two).

Bear

02ab716a_1000x500px-LL-86c787fb_DSC01276.jpg

3c8688d9_1000x500px-LL-5b80101c_DSC01278.jpg

Welcome to your new addiction Smokeaddict.

Glad you are here, great people and great information

I have an AmeriQue and have cold smoked in it.

I thought I posted a cheese smoke here, but a quick search didn’t find it.

Anyway the principal is the same for the Smokette and the AmeriQue.

Ice above the baffle is the key.

Several people have also used a satellite smoker box as you have suggested.

The Cookshack Forum is geared specifically to Cookshack smokers, you may want to check them out also

Here is a link to a cold smoke I did in an AmeriQue.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/albumcomments/f/7091028883/m/3342965507?r=8742965507#8742965507

Here is another idea

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/11/fun-with-cold-smoking-macgyver-style.html

Smokeaddict,

Here is a perfect combination for cold smoking during those warm days in Ozz.

An A-MAZE-N-SMOKER & a frozen plastic jug of water (or two).

Bear

02ab716a_1000x500px-LL-86c787fb_DSC01276.jpg

3c8688d9_1000x500px-LL-5b80101c_DSC01278.jpg

Dang Bear, What a great idea. Last summer I was cold smoking some salmon with my AMNS & had trouble keeping the temp below 90. Of course it was about 75 or 80 outside, but I think this would have worked. Thanks, buddy

My little gadget has made it's way over to some Cookshack owners with great success.  Why would you pay $69.95 for a baffle, when for $30 you can buy an AMNS and get TBS without screwing around with the heating element? 

White smoke & Brown Smoke SCARE ME!

Smokeaddict

A very important factor to "Cold Smoking" is ambient temperature.  If it's 90° outside, your pushing the upper limits of smoking cheese.  What's the ambient temp you are trying to smoke at?

How about a pic of your plywood smoker?

You smoking cheese or bacon or what????

Some guys pipe in smoke from an external firebox.  The length of the pipe cools the smoke

Todd

Paul, Todd Bear, Arnie, Craig, Al,

Thanks Guys ! What a welcome !

The temperature here in summer can be 105 + and in winter, lowest may be 55 overnight. I am wanting to cold smoke sausage, pork belly, known here as Speck, hams, bacon after salting for up to six weeks, then smoking for up to four weeks at no more than 50. Higher temperature will melt the 30% fat in the goods. I thought AMAZEN would do it, but for this length of time is it viable I wonder. The attached photos show yesterday's trial of sausage and belly which resulted in fat running out of both,  because the temperature was too high, it being 86 ambient. The really cold smoke will produce better flavour and much longer preserve. In short what I would like to do in a temperate climate is what the Europeans and you can do in your climates. I tried other methods, like external smoke source from a converted microwave with the hotplate and chips in a pot, connected by a rangehood tube three meters away. Condensation in the tube and the tainted smoke from the gaffer tape and the plastic elements of the rig put an end to that ! With input from your good selves and the forum's search feature I will get this right ! For the second smoke today of yesterday's effort I will do the frozen ice trick in the Smokette, and once again, thanks a lot guys !   Gus
e7302539_DSC03484.jpg

Bearcarver,

I used your suggestion re the ice in the smoker for the second smoke today, amazing, the temperature inside the smoker dropped by some 50 deg. Not sure if this is the long term solution, but here's a photo of the results. Thanks for your help !

Gus

6f2b7338_smoked.jpg

Bearcarver,

I used your suggestion re the ice in the smoker for the second smoke today, amazing, the temperature inside the smoker dropped by some 50 deg. Not sure if this is the long term solution, but here's a photo of the results. Thanks for your help !

Gus

6f2b7338_smoked.jpg
Nice Color you got going there!!!

I didn't know how much ice would do in a wooden smoke house.

I know it works good in my MES, because the MES is really insulated well, causing that little bitty fire in an AMNS to raise the heat.

So if a little bitty amount of heat can raise the temp, a little ice should be able to lower the heat.

When the ambient temperature is above the temp that you want the inside of the smoker to be, it is the only easy way I know to reduce the temp in the smoker.

Glad it worked for you,

Bear

Les, Thanks for the kind words.

I smoke in a big plywood type smoker that I built and I am able to smoke from -25 degrees all the way up to 100+ degrees. Mine is very well insulated so it holds heat in the cold or in the blazing how summers. If I am cold smoking I always use my Amaze-N-Smoker without any heat unless it is really cold in the winter then I will turn on my propane a bit just to keep it above freezing inside the chamber. And in in the summer if its really hot my smoker is so well insulated that if its 100+ outside it isn't that hot inside the smoker.

Here is a picture of what I am working with.

6db93cd6_DSC00403.jpg

Well built smokehouse you got there Ross! I'd like to build something like that, but in the community I live they won't allow it. I think I could build something smaller and they wouldn't see it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky