How to use a CampChef 18: SV to cold smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Majja13

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 19, 2022
Salt Lake City
My thoughts wile I am waiting to get the new pellet rig, I have always wanted to venture into the realm of cold smoke ( cheese, meats and yes BACON) I know there are a million one ways probably to do this. What was I thinking was kind of using a A-Maze-N tube or maze in the wood trey on my SV to cold smoke? This would most likely be the most economical way to go. I like to build shit so that is an option, however I do not have any welding skills nor equipment to venture down that path, unless it is simple Brazing like pipes and such for plumbing.

Would one tube be enough, or would I need more? I am here in SLC Utah, so I have a good swing of hot and cold weather to aid or hinder any attempts at cold smoking. Also, would I need to place a piece of material across the bottom to block off the burner hole? Again, I am open to all opinions or suggestions act.

Thank you
Majja

You would want to try the tube first since it is designed for low oxygen environments. The tray may actually produce too much heat inside the Smoke Vault for cold smoking. One smoker tube should be enough.

You could experiment with blocking the burner hole. But, my thinking is that leaving the burner hole unblocked would provide the needed oxygen to keep the pellets buring in the tube.

I have the same SV 18 you have and I have not done it yep but. I am going to next week and my first attempt will be to put the tube in the water tray, and not have water in it. If I need moisture I would put water in a stainless loaf pan. I'm not certain there will be enough draw. I have a needle valve on my smoker and can get as low as 110* but that's still a little too hot. If I need more draw, I thought about using two tubes.

I have the same SV 18 you have and I have not done it yep but. I am going to next week and my first attempt will be to put the tube in the water tray, and not have water in it. If I need moisture I would put water in a stainless loaf pan. I'm not certain there will be enough draw. I have a needle valve on my smoker and can get as low as 110* but that's still a little too hot. If I need more draw, I thought about using two tubes.
I really need to look into this upgrade on the SV. I also thought about using a couple of charcoal briquettes and placing the wood on them like the snake method in a kettle.

I really need to look into this upgrade on the SV. I also thought about using a couple of charcoal briquettes and placing the wood on them like the snake method in a kettle.

I put in the needle valve to add a PID to it so I can control the temperature better. The problem with gas is the lowest the temperature can go is about 110*. I am in the planning stages to convert mine to an electric unit. Then the temperature can go as low as you want.

I put in the needle valve to add a PID to it so I can control the temperature better. The problem with gas is the lowest the temperature can go is about 110*. I am in the planning stages to convert mine to an electric unit. Then the temperature can go as low as you want.
I would like better gas control here is the summer it gets to be fun challenge to try and keep it in the low and slow range when I am doing Butts. And since mine is on the East side of the house for now I get a fair amount of solar heating of the cabinet.

I would like better gas control here is the summer it gets to be fun challenge to try and keep it in the low and slow range when I am doing Butts. And since mine is on the East side of the house for now I get a fair amount of solar heating of the cabinet.
Here is the manifold I built with brass fittings. If you don't want to PID it you can cut out the loop and it is even easier.
PXL_20220204_194220091.jpg
The turn is necessary because the space is limited on the SV18. If you don't want the solenoid I would just replace it with the valve and not need to lower section.

Edit: If you don't want the solenoid just put in an elbow at the end for the hose fitting.

Reactions: Majja13
My thoughts wile I am waiting to get the new pellet rig, I have always wanted to venture into the realm of cold smoke ( cheese, meats and yes BACON) I know there are a million one ways probably to do this. What was I thinking was kind of using a A-Maze-N tube or maze in the wood trey on my SV to cold smoke? This would most likely be the most economical way to go. I like to build shit so that is an option, however I do not have any welding skills nor equipment to venture down that path, unless it is simple Brazing like pipes and such for plumbing.

Would one tube be enough, or would I need more? I am here in SLC Utah, so I have a good swing of hot and cold weather to aid or hinder any attempts at cold smoking. Also, would I need to place a piece of material across the bottom to block off the burner hole? Again, I am open to all opinions or suggestions act.

Thank you
Majja

I have the SV24 and this is what I do,I remove the water tray and place one of the racks where the water pan sits. Then i use a cheap elect hot plate below that rack on the bottom, I run the cord out the side vent. turn the hot plate on low, place my amazn tube once lit on that bottom rack on one side or the other depending on what i have to smoke.Top vent wide open and I can run at less than 100 deg most days, i live in neworleans so in the summer it gets a little tough but most of the year its not a problem.

I have the SV24 and this is what I do,I remove the water tray and place one of the racks where the water pan sits. Then i use a cheap elect hot plate below that rack on the bottom, I run the cord out the side vent. turn the hot plate on low, place my amazn tube once lit on that bottom rack on one side or the other depending on what i have to smoke.Top vent wide open and I can run at less than 100 deg most days, i live in neworleans so in the summer it gets a little tough but most of the year its not a problem.
That's cheating, ha ha ha, you turned the propane smoker into an electric one and can control the heat with the hot plate. Does your hot plate go lower? Maybe you can turn it down with a rheostat? Just a thought. I want to control mine with a PID so I can smoke sausage, this will certainly work.

Is there such a thing as two cold for cold smoked items like cheese and Bacon?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky