• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cold smoked ham into sausage

nate85

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 19, 2010
I have some 5lb boneless hams I cured with pops recipe. I need to get them used up for freezer space for this seasons deer. They where cold smoked at 70 degrees for 8 hours then froze. I was going to pull them out and grind them to make some sweet sage sausage and stuff into casings. Anything wrong with doing this? I don’t need to add cure #1 beings it already cured right?

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Interesting. I'm watching.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
If you are not adding any other meat it would be okay.
Richie

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
You should be good to go, as long as it wasn't cooked previously. ( you would get a bind with cooked meat).
what size casing are ya thinking.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
If you used Pops brine then I would think adding more cure wouldn't be needed. How much fat is in the ham?

nate85

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 19, 2010
The ham is lean but I have a bunch of fatty bacon ends that I did with pops brine I’m going to grind with it to get me 80/20. I did a mix of 19mm and 28mm. Just got them stuffed. I’ll report back on how they came out.

nate85

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 19, 2010
Oooooo I never thought about that. Mom has a pizzaburger recipe that uses spam. Some of this made into spam would defiantly kick it up a notch.

Sowsage

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 18, 2017
I would think if you used any herbs or seasonings in the curing brine to get a "ham" flavor it would be good mixed with your bacon ends for fat and made into ham snack sticks.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I've been looking at , wanting to do ham sausage , krakow , or others that used cured , cubed un-cooked ham mixed with ground pork . Stuffed and smoked . Not trying to change your plan . Just a thought .
Sounds like an opportunity to make some homemade Spam.
That or some pork roll .

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I would really like to see these turned into sausage. I bet they would be very good.

PolishDeli

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 9, 2018
I'm thinking of making another batch of Polish Ham sausage (Kiełbasa szynkowa) with the leftover thanksgiving ham. I made some for Easter earlier this year, and it turned out great. Posted about it here:

Note, the Marianski recipe I used needed modification to cure only the added ground meat, since the ham was already cured.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Note, the Marianski recipe I used needed modification to cure only the added ground meat, since the ham was already cured.
Ham cured , but not cooked correct ?

PolishDeli

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 9, 2018
In my case the Ham was already fully cooked. (In the ham=cured but not cooked scenario, you're basically making Krakowska Kiełbasa.)

The ham was cut into cubes, mixed with raw ground meat (Cure#1 was added to the ground meat along with salt/spices). This ham/ground meat mixture was stuffed into beef bung and smoked/baked.

nate85

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 19, 2010
Sorry guys for some reason I don’t get notification in my email. I think it’s flagging it as spam. But anyway, I went and turned some of these into honey ham sticks and they where amazing. My smoker blew up so I had to do them in the oven but I’d defiantly do them again. Thanks for all the great ideas I’m going to give some of them a whirl next time

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.