Cold smoked ham into sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nate85

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 19, 2010
I have some 5lb boneless hams I cured with pops recipe. I need to get them used up for freezer space for this seasons deer. They where cold smoked at 70 degrees for 8 hours then froze. I was going to pull them out and grind them to make some sweet sage sausage and stuff into casings. Anything wrong with doing this? I don’t need to add cure #1 beings it already cured right?

You should be good to go, as long as it wasn't cooked previously. ( you would get a bind with cooked meat).
what size casing are ya thinking.

Reactions: nate85
If you used Pops brine then I would think adding more cure wouldn't be needed. How much fat is in the ham?

Reactions: nate85
The ham is lean but I have a bunch of fatty bacon ends that I did with pops brine I’m going to grind with it to get me 80/20. I did a mix of 19mm and 28mm. Just got them stuffed. I’ll report back on how they came out.

Oooooo I never thought about that. Mom has a pizzaburger recipe that uses spam. Some of this made into spam would defiantly kick it up a notch.

Reactions: chopsaw
I would think if you used any herbs or seasonings in the curing brine to get a "ham" flavor it would be good mixed with your bacon ends for fat and made into ham snack sticks.

I've been looking at , wanting to do ham sausage , krakow , or others that used cured , cubed un-cooked ham mixed with ground pork . Stuffed and smoked . Not trying to change your plan . Just a thought .
Sounds like an opportunity to make some homemade Spam.
That or some pork roll .

Reactions: PolishDeli
I'm thinking of making another batch of Polish Ham sausage (Kiełbasa szynkowa) with the leftover thanksgiving ham. I made some for Easter earlier this year, and it turned out great. Posted about it here:

Note, the Marianski recipe I used needed modification to cure only the added ground meat, since the ham was already cured.

Reactions: zwiller
In my case the Ham was already fully cooked. (In the ham=cured but not cooked scenario, you're basically making Krakowska Kiełbasa.)

The ham was cut into cubes, mixed with raw ground meat (Cure#1 was added to the ground meat along with salt/spices). This ham/ground meat mixture was stuffed into beef bung and smoked/baked.

Reactions: zwiller
Sorry guys for some reason I don’t get notification in my email. I think it’s flagging it as spam. But anyway, I went and turned some of these into honey ham sticks and they where amazing. My smoker blew up so I had to do them in the oven but I’d defiantly do them again. Thanks for all the great ideas I’m going to give some of them a whirl next time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky