Polskie Kilbasy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
This is the assortment of Polish sausages I made for Easter this year. They were a hit, and wanted to share.

From 12:00 going clockwise:
Zwyczajna Kilbasa (Regular Sausage)
Biala Kielbasa (White Sausage)
Kabanosy
Kielbasa Szynkowa (Ham Sausage)

Kielbasy_1.jpg

This was my first time making the ham sausage. It was a fun project; defiantly the most involved of the group, since I first had to make the ham. It contains 25% emulsified product holding it all together and stuffed into beef bung; it's smoked, and poached. Here’s a close up of it sliced:

szynkowa.jpg

Two batches of white sausage were made. One was used for the zurek (a fermented rye flour, white sausage, and potato soup):

zurek.jpg

Looks really good. I'm studying up on how to make sausages currently. Time to expand on my smoking.

Point for sure.
Chris

Nice looking sausage.

Warren
Looks really good. I'm studying up on how to make sausages currently. Time to expand on my smoking.

Point for sure.
Chris

Chris
There is 2 books that will help you if you don't already have them. You can get them off amazon.

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages
Stanley Marianski, Adam Marianski

Polish Sausages Authentic Recipes and Instructions
Stanley Marianski, Adam Marianski, Miroslaw Gebarowski

Warren

Nice! I've not made the Szynkowa but I do make Krakowska from 100% pork loin. The dark meat gets fine ground and emulsified and the light meat just gets cubed according to my horn size. They are mixed together and stuffed in 2 1/2" fibrous casing and smoked/water bath finished. Is it similar just not as Chunky?...JJ

Thanks guys!

Pushok,
I’m happy to share any recipe and processing details. Mostly I follow Marianski’s book, and I used the spice combinations he provides for each of these sausages.

I find that sorting and grinding the meat according to fat content helps the final texture a lot.
Here’s a picture detailing this:

Picture1.jpg

From here, I use the following combinations in each of the sausages:
White sausage: 50% (A) and 50% (B)
Regular sausage: 50% (A), 25% (B) 25% (C)
Kabanosy: 75% (A) 25% (B)

The ham sausage recipe seemed off to me, since it’s presented (1) with no Cure#1 and (2) an amount of salt that seems too high, since ham (which is already salty) makes up 75% of the product.
I made 2000g of ham sausage, so I modified the recipe to account for spicing 2000g of meat, but for salting and curing only 500g.

Specifically:
-1500g ham cut into 1-1.5 inch chunks (I used loin, cured with a brine that was 60°SAL, 1% sugar, 1560ppm NaNO2, 10% injection. Smoked to IT 150°F after curing).
-250g of (B) + 250g beef; emulsified and mixed with:
Salt: 9g
Cure#1: 1.25g
Water: 30mL
Black pepper: 4g
Sugar: 5g
nutmeg: 2g
coriander: 4g

Nice! I've not made the Szynkowa but I do make Krakowska from 100% pork loin. The dark meat gets fine ground and emulsified and the light meat just gets cubed according to my horn size. They are mixed together and stuffed in 2 1/2" fibrous casing and smoked/water bath finished. Is it similar just not as Chunky?...JJ

Thanks Jimmy!
I was expecting it to turn out just like Krakowsak since, like you mentioned, their processing is almost identical. The szynkowa ended up having a more complex flavor profile though, with a look similar to head cheese. It's worth trying.

Can I assume there is a Typo in the Ham Brine Formula? 1560ppm!? I'm thinking that would Pucker your Lips a bit! Should be 156ppm, Yes?...JJ

PD ,,, looks good . I've been researching the ham sausage for awhile now .

Thank you all for the likes and the positive feedback! Bardzo dziękuję!

Wow...just wow...
Can you describe your smoke technique for the Zwyczajna Kilbasa?
The color and smoke consistency looks perfect. What wood?
Dzięki,

Thanks Andy!
The smoker I use is a Masterbuilt 30” Digital Electric Smoker.

For the zwyczajna, cherry wood chips were used.
-After stuffing, they were hung to dry for about an hour at room temperature.
-I started the smoker at 125°F, and over the course of ~3.5 hours ramped it up to 225°F. I didn’t take rigorous minute-to-minute notes, but the bulk of the time was spent in the 150°F-180°F range.
-A constant, but minimum level of smoke was maintained for the entire time. After adding fresh chips, if I saw white smoking coming out of the vents, I’d open the door to let the clouds out.
-Vents fully open the entire time.
-I removed the water pan about 20 minutes before removing the sausages. This helped the bottom portions of the sausages (the parts close to water pan) “catch up” in color to the top sections.
-Cold water rinse after removing from the smoker.
-1 hour hang at room temperature before refrigeration.

Didn't want to side track the other thread , just in case . So I asked about cooked or not because I have cured loins that are smoked / cooked . I was wondering if I could cube these up add to some ground pork ( seasoned and added cure , for meat paste only ) stuff and smoke / water bath . Good idea , bad idea , or not the same ?

Krakowska, is a sausage, more of a Cold cut since the fibrous Casing is 2 inches or bigger. It is chunks of lean light colored Loin meat, bound with the finer ground dark meat and fat. The chunks end up being similar to chunks of Ham in Kielbasa. Kielbasa Szynkowa, Ham Kielbasa is similar but a search keeps referring back to Krakowska.
If you didn't heat your cured Loin much above 145-150, I think making the above, 1/2" chunks loin, would work ok...JJ

Reactions: PolishDeli
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky