Cold smoked cheese on the Lang

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
We finally had temps low enough in Louisiana for me to do a batch of cold smoked cheese. I hunt from October thru January 31, so those months are out for me. Last few weeks have hit near 80 but we had some cool weather Saturday. I got up early and started a batch. I used pitmasters choice in my Amaz-en smoker tube. I place the tube in my fire box and keep all the vents open. Always works well for me. 547F3C50-980A-4B54-AB54-15619E4D7574.jpeg 28C9A017-EE4D-448C-A556-E7B447FD728A.jpeg
We are Gouda lovers, and I got a good price on some at Costco. We also had a little cheddar, just the Kirkland brand. I cut it up and put on wire racks with intentions of smoking at least 4hrs, but i wanted to let color determine when I pulled the cheese.
8CB7BEAB-24DA-414A-9A94-3D59D9263B5D.jpeg
Several hours in I took a few pics, and at one point I maneuvered both racks to the top, because those seemed to be getting the nicest color.
87AF7872-E063-48F6-BC69-74F6E4A8B986.jpeg C31D5872-35CC-41F2-98B8-4A838086C16F.jpeg
After 7 hours, they looked nice, just how I envisioned the way I wanted.

39833E05-0F16-4600-8419-C8A927FF45DD.jpeg 6B0FA31D-24D6-4D46-883A-F00988C42872.jpeg
21BECAA6-1797-410E-B386-4EAE88E63E14.jpeg

I brought them in, let them rest a bit, then wrapped in Saran Wrap for a night or so.
E011917F-182A-4FB1-BA6B-6C1AA48E4372.jpeg

And tonight, I finished by vacuum sealing and dating. I tasted some along the way, really expecting it to be too strong because I know it takes a few weeks to mellow. But this cheese already tastes outstanding. Even my better half was munching and didn’t think a rest was necessary. So I know it’ll only get better!
328BB4A8-7F7F-4DEF-BF7A-3F3A1A3D3D2B.jpeg
We have a nice mess of smoked cheese now!

Attachments

• 74C1B9C1-9B4E-45AD-82F5-3CA9574878A4.jpeg
    74C1B9C1-9B4E-45AD-82F5-3CA9574878A4.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 20
We finally had temps low enough in Louisiana for me to do a batch of cold smoked cheese. I hunt from October thru January 31, so those months are out for me. Last few weeks have hit near 80 but we had some cool weather Saturday. I got up early and started a batch. I used pitmasters choice in my Amaz-en smoker tube. I place the tube in my fire box and keep all the vents open. Always works well for me. View attachment 389038View attachment 389039
We are Gouda lovers, and I got a good price on some at Costco. We also had a little cheddar, just the Kirkland brand. I cut it up and put on wire racks with intentions of smoking at least 4hrs, but i wanted to let color determine when I pulled the cheese.
View attachment 389040
Several hours in I took a few pics, and at one point I maneuvered both racks to the top, because those seemed to be getting the nicest color.
View attachment 389041 View attachment 389042
After 7 hours, they looked nice, just how I envisioned the way I wanted.

View attachment 389043 View attachment 389044
View attachment 389045

I brought them in, let them rest a bit, then wrapped in Saran Wrap for a night or so.
View attachment 389046

And tonight, I finished by vacuum sealing and dating. I tasted some along the way, really expecting it to be too strong because I know it takes a few weeks to mellow. But this cheese already tastes outstanding. Even my better half was munching and didn’t think a rest was necessary. So I know it’ll only get better!
View attachment 389047
We have a nice mess of smoked cheese now!
that is damn nice smoke colouring on cheese . What is smoky taste on scale from 1-10...

that is damn nice smoke colouring on cheese . What is smoky taste on scale from 1-10...
Pretty intense. I’d say 7 or 8. It’ll probably mellow in a few weeks, but I like the way it is already.
CA8F9876-6A41-4A54-8C1C-D45D05F56864.jpeg
Here’s a good idea of the contrast.

Nice looking cheese man! Took on some good color for sure. I did 40 blocks last week and had several of Gouda in there...can’t beat it. Always use apple but might try out masters next time just to see the difference

Reactions: 73saint
Nice looking cheese man! Took on some good color for sure. I did 40 blocks last week and had several of Gouda in there...can’t beat it. Always use apple but might try out masters next time just to see the difference
Thanks. I usually use apple as well. Not even sure why I did pitmasters, but so far so good.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Thanks. I usually use apple as well. Not even sure why I did pitmasters, but so far so good.

Knows it’s the wrong spot but ran across your dry age brisket post earlier can’t wait to see the results! Back to the cheese...try the Cabot habanero sometime if you can find it...amazing. Also can’t go wrong with Muenster

Knows it’s the wrong spot but ran across your dry age brisket post earlier can’t wait to see the results! Back to the cheese...try the Cabot habanero sometime if you can find it...amazing. Also can’t go wrong with Muenster
I have tried the Cabot habanero and I love it. But don’t always see it.

Great looking cheese!
I use the same setup in my Lang & it always amazes me how well the Lang draws the smoke thru with no real fire going!
Al

Great looking Cheese saint. It definitely took on a good color. I'm lucky Cabot is readily available in almost every store around here. I usually stock up when it goes on sale for a 1.70 or so.

Point for sure.
Chris

Pretty intense. I’d say 7 or 8. It’ll probably mellow in a few weeks, but I like the way it is already.
View attachment 389048
Here’s a good idea of the contrast.
yes, 7 and up smokiness in the beginning ensures right taste after few weeks.. Now, let me try to put a bug in your head and get you think about making wine that will perfectly compliment your cheese stash...

Great looking cheese!
I use the same setup in my Lang & it always amazes me how well the Lang draws the smoke thru with no real fire going!
Al
Thanks Al! The Lang never ceases to amaze me. Puts out a quality product all the time!

Great looking Cheese saint. It definitely took on a good color. I'm lucky Cabot is readily available in almost every store around here. I usually stock up when it goes on sale for a 1.70 or so.

Point for sure.
Chris
Thanks Chris! That Cabot is some fine cheese!

That colour is amazing :)

I might need to push beyond the 4 hour mark now. I wouldn't mind some white cheddars with that amber look to them.

That colour is amazing :)

I might need to push beyond the 4 hour mark now. I wouldn't mind some white cheddars with that amber look to them.
Thanks Tom. 4 hours has always been my mark. This time I went by color alone and I’m glad I did.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky