Cold smoked backfat and hocks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I've been putting off smoking some backfat and hocks. Time has come.

Hocks in brine
20180124_233010.jpg

Took a smoked hock out the freezer to make a bean soup
20180426_055659.jpg

Will cook it in the crcokpot
20180426_055722.jpg

I am using frozen cranberry beans (got a lot of these in the fall, shelled them, then froze them).
20180426_060646-1.jpg

Hock cooked with onion and garlic (on low) for 7.5h then with beans, carrots, brocolli stems, celery stalks for 5h.

Hock scooped out....a lot of meat on it
20180426_193753-1.jpg

Meat picked and tossed back in the soup. Finished with sour cream+heavy cream.
20180426_194356-1.jpg

I've done chilli in the crockpot but not bean + hock soup.

The flavour extraction is amazing.

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks good. Unfortunately I am the only one who will eat beans, other than Baked. I was curious about the long cook time until I realized you were using a Crock-Pot...JJ

Chef Jimmy

I don't think i know anyone who doesn't like beans in any shape or form.

In a 3 generations household we don't even bother cooking mains when we have beans and hock soup. After seconds (and sometimes thirds) no room for mains.

We eat the soup with a side of oiled sliced red onion and toast. Some add vinegar (to the onion).

Needless to say there is no leftover to freeze (which is not an issue for all the other soups we eat).

It seems that the topic has changed to hocks and beans and the back fat has fallen by the wayside. I would like to hear more about the back fat. How was it prepared and how do you you consume it?

It seems that the topic has changed to hocks and beans and the back fat has fallen by the wayside. I would like to hear more about the back fat. How was it prepared and how do you you consume it?
Both hock and backfat were wet cured. Hocks for 3 weeks, backfat for 2.

Rinsed well after that, hung for developing pellicle than smoked with beech...for a long time .

Hocks were vacpacked after that and rested in the fridge for a few days before feeezing.

Backfat was hung to dry after smoking. One week if i remember correctly.

We eat the backfat "raw". Sometimes we use it as you would pancetta or bacon: in an omlette, pasta. We also like it roasted over a camp fire. But best is as cold cut. Rind is hard, but toss it in a soup and gives you extra flavour. And then you can munch on it...it softens.
Ofcourse if you don't like the cold fat texture you won't like this.

It's worth trying. Worst case you cook with it.

Also helps with lean meats: cut some slits into the meat and jam in there some smoked backfat.

If you go camping, hunting for many days and have no ice available the backfat will keep you fed and happy...long after other meats have gone bad.

Here is an older thread for smoked backfat
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...rdiolosts-blood-pressure.257263/#post-1722350

Sorry, just reread the title. Good information. I want to try this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky