1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cold smoke cheese

Discussion in 'Smoked Cheese' started by iceman6409, Mar 25, 2018.

1. iceman6409

iceman6409 Fire Starter

Roughly how long to dcold smoke fresh mozzarella. About 1 pound. Very soft. About 30 degrees here. Using a tube smoker and Perfect Mix pellets by CookinPellets.

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There are a myriad of food borne pathogens that would love to multiply in warm moist cheese...
    Try and keep the cheese below 40 deg. F while smoking...
    That may be difficult with the tube smoke generator as it does create a lot of heat... Do you have a long length of dryer vent duct you can cool the smoke ???
    Or, you can try making dust out of the pellets... It smokes a LOT cooler than pellets....
    Below is a link on how I make dust....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/making-dust-from-pellets.271863/

3. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

Depending on how Smokey you want it 2-4 hours. I usually smoke my fresh mozz for 2 hours.

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Mozz will pick up the smoke very quickly.
    I would say 2 hours also!
    Al

hillbillyrkstr likes this.
  5. iceman6409

iceman6409 Fire Starter

So an update. I think I messed up. Smoked for somewhere between 2-3 hours. Used a 6 inch tube smoker with pellets in the bottom of an electric bullet shaped smoker. The electric smoker was NOT on at all. It was fresh mozzarella. Very soft. Maybe 1/2-3/4 pound as I am experimenting. Finished up with a good yellow color. Maybe even a little more than I was expecting. Sliced a little off and found the outside to be maybe a little rubbery for lack of a better term. Wrapped it in Cling and put in fridge. Any thoughts or feedback?

6. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I've always though Mozzerella was sort of rubbery anyway. :confused:
    Try less time. Make a test batch where several pieces are all the same size/volume.
    Then pull pieces at set intervals, for different smoke results.
    It changes after it rests, tends to mellow.
    Just keep trying.

7. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

As stated above Mozzarella is soft and takes on smoke quickly. Try maybe a half hour and taste it. If you need more smoke then go another half hour and taste. Keep going until you reach your desired smoke flavor and texture. Then when you do it again you'll have a good idea of what you like.

Chris

8. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

With me, knowing I, in about an Hour and a Half, my smoker would be empty.... :oops:

9. Lol, I was going to say that. I would have to buy double the amout because you can't eat just one.

10. ksblazer

ksblazer Smoke Blower

A little late. But I smoked up some mozzarella back in February. Smoked it for about 2.5hrs.

Just tried it today and couldn't believe how good it was. I've done some others. Swiss, pepper jack, sharp cheddar, muenster, Monterey jack and tried them all before the mozzarella.

Sharp cheddar was my favorite. But the mozzarella may be taking over that honor.

Have some more sharp cheddar in the fridge to smoke up. But before I do. I'm going to be getting 2-3lbs more of mozzarella to smoke up with it.