Need Some Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll follow along...
I'm hoping that a few of the wise, knowledgeable sausage makers on here will chime in and give me a little of their wisdom...😉
Well , lets see . You're gonna need
Hog casings and some bags ,
View attachment 682788
High barrier waterproof for poaching lunch meat .
View attachment 682790
Cellulose for skinless .
View attachment 682789
Sheep , for dogs and sticks .
View attachment 682791

View attachment 682792
Cloth bags , as mentioned above .
View attachment 682793
View attachment 682794
A bread pan for slicable loafs .
View attachment 682795
View attachment 682796
That should get ya started .
Rich, I said baby steps...🤣 Maybe one day...😉

I would suggest you buy by the “hank” these are in a solution and not in dry packed salt
I've been on the Syracuse site, but how do I know that the casings are by the "hank". In the FAQ section, they talk about hanks and tubes, but when I go to order them, I'm not sure what I'm ordering as there really isn't but 1 option and hank is not mentioned...

I've been on the Syracuse site, but how do I know that the casings are by the "hank". In the FAQ section, they talk about hanks and tubes, but when I go to order them, I'm not sure what I'm ordering as there really isn't but 1 option and hank is not mentioned...
Never bought from Syracuse, I believe that is because they only sell pre-tubed casings? Not positive of that but thinking so. There are lots of places to order hanks. The sausage maker, butcher and packer, the butcher’s pantry, and lately I’ve been buying from Walton’s meats.

Never bought from Syracuse, I believe that is because they only sell pre-tubed casings? Not positive of that but thinking so. There are lots of places to order hanks. The sausage maker, butcher and packer, the butcher’s pantry, and lately I’ve been buying from Walton’s meats.
OK, I figured it out, I think. Apparently Syracuse only sells tubed casings or salt packed...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Definitely stay away from salt packed casings. Some people really like the tubed casings but a lot of folks end up taking them off the tube to load them. I’ve never messed with them.

Definitely stay away from salt packed casings. Some people really like the tubed casings but a lot of folks end up taking them off the tube to load them. I’ve never messed with them.
I find storage easier to remove the tubes. They do have good casing, thumbs up for that.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky