Cleaning Soft Shell Crabs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Not sure were this should go so if it needs moving,feel free an my apologies for the extra work.
Soft Shells should be kept in the fridge with a damp paper towel covering them.
I start by brushing them with a tooth brush
100_7362.JPG
next you peel the shell up gently
remove the thing that looks like a sponge
100_7365.JPG
brush the inside and the under part of the shell
100_7367.JPG
100_7371.JPG
Remove the face with a scissor
100_7372.JPG
Squeeze from the back to get the mustard out
100_7376.JPG
Remove the bottom flap clean under the rear part of the shell
100_7382.JPG
Prepare the way you want
Richie

Reactions: gmc2003
Kenney seafood in Slidell, Louisiana will ship them to you I'm pretty sure. In louisiana we have shedding operations where tanks are set up to mimic molting conditions so we generally always have them available as long as the crabs are being caught. Saw the thread with your crab on the rye. Looked great tropics. Try injecting them with creole butter before frying then place on a po boy bun next time. Only way I eat softshell......

Kenney seafood in Slidell, Louisiana will ship them to you I'm pretty sure. In louisiana we have shedding operations where tanks are set up to mimic molting conditions so we generally always have them available as long as the crabs are being caught. Saw the thread with your crab on the rye. Looked great tropics. Try injecting them with creole butter before frying then place on a po boy bun next time. Only way I eat softshell......

Thanks I have cooked in butter w/garlic many a time.Here is one for you.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/stuffed-crabs.278068/
Richie

What you squeeze out the yellow mustard (fat) really??

Oh forgot you guys up north a little bit even clean out your hard crabs too.

Warren

Looked at link you posted. Looks good Richie!! Pardon my ignorance but I didn't know other coastal locations enjoyed blue crabs as we louisianians do. Is that yalls average size? I live near lake ponchatrain and have caught a blue 9" from tip to tip of shell. I usually throw a couple traps out while I go fish and check on way back in just in case i need flounder stuffing. Yall make days out of crabbing in your parts? Crabs so cheap and plentiful here I usually go to the dock and pick up a basket fresh for entertaining.

Trennon

Yup I'm in Maryland and we go days at a time. Buying crabs here is not cheap memorial weekend #1's sold for $300.00 a bushel This past labor Day they were down to $200.00 a Bushel. Want to go into the seafood business shipping crabs north.

Sorry high jacked your thread Richie.

Warren

Yup I'm in Maryland and we go days at a time. Buying crabs here is not cheap memorial weekend #1's sold for $300.00 a bushel This past labor Day they were down to $200.00 a Bushel. Want to go into the seafood business shipping crabs north.

Warren
Good lord!!! Yeah we might have to look into shipping some bayou gold out there!! That's nuts. That amount of money you talking about fueling up the sea cat for an offshore oil rig meat fest.....

No highjack intended on my part either.
T.S. Gordon closing in on my part of the world so I gotta go pick up a few things around the yard. See you boys later......

Looked at link you posted. Looks good Richie!! Pardon my ignorance but I didn't know other coastal locations enjoyed blue crabs as we louisianians do. Is that yalls average size? I live near lake ponchatrain and have caught a blue 9" from tip to tip of shell. I usually throw a couple traps out while I go fish and check on way back in just in case i need flounder stuffing. Yall make days out of crabbing in your parts? Crabs so cheap and plentiful here I usually go to the dock and pick up a basket fresh for entertaining.

Trennon
@ $25.00 a doz. I can't afford that we Crab all summer,I do live cleaning so we can freeze and cook when we want.Hardest thing here is finding a good location that isn't crowded.my biggest was in the same size as yours.
Richie

Warren

Warren no problem that is the truth the market is crazy.I see in the Asian Market all females that are lucky to be 5" and they go for $15.00 a doz.
Richie

I have many friends (I do have some anyway :D) and they crab up to 4,000 ft of line daily and dance on the deck if they catch 3 bushel. As a kid I can remember seeing a 100 bushel sitting on the gunwale when they came in.

Warren

Not a lot of crabs up here(well not the kind you want anyway). Nice job on the tutorial Richie. If I ever manage to source some at a price I can afford. I'll be checking coming back to this thread.

Point for sure.

Chris

Man! That brings back memories. Working at a country club I cleaned bushels, when available, to satisfy the demand. Me, I like my softies tempura fried and made into Spider Rolls. I love Sushi...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky