Classic Brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by dstar26t, Apr 20, 2016.

1. dstar26t

dstar26t Fire Starter

I will let the pictures speak for themselves mostly.  16 lb packer trimmed to 14 lbs.  1% w/w kosher salt on the surface for 24 hours.  19 hours of 6 month seasoned red oak (a lot of it) until probe tender.  6 hour rest in a cooler (while I cooked 4 racks of maple brine cured pork ribs).  Best brisket to date for sure.

Nate

gary s and mike5051 like this.
  2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's a beautiful looking brisket, Nate!

It looks extremely tender & juicy!

Great job!

Al

3. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nicely done 

Richie

4. Nice looking Brisket...................  Did I see Butcher Paper ?????    [​IMG]    Great job   [​IMG]

Gary

5. jcbigler

jcbigler Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looking good.

6. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice smoke!

7. adam c

adam c Fire Starter

Nice and simple. Looks amazing! Man I bet that was some good eating.

8. hdbrs

hdbrs Smoke Blower

I never understood the rest part, is it still warm when u take it out of the cooler after 6 hrs? 3 hrs? 1 hr?

9. jcbigler

jcbigler Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Yes to all of those. A wrapped, uncut brisket that is insulated in a set of towels and in a cooler will retain it's heat for hours upon hours. It stays moist and just gets more tender that whole time.

10. dstar26t

dstar26t Fire Starter

This is the secret for the best brisket every time I think.  It totally relaxes during the rest and I think 4 hours would have produced the same product if not less time.  It was still steaming when I sliced.  Butcher paper tight around the brisket with plastic wrap around that and then towels in a boiling water pre-heated cooler.  There was extra space so I put 2 sealed quart mason jars with just off boiling water in the cooler too.  Also, it was wrapped (butcher paper) after the first 6 hours of cooking and unwrapped for the last 2.  In a perfect world where I knew it would take 19 hours (assumed 18), I would have unwrapped for the last hour only.

Thank you all for your comments...it's the end of a long day traveling for work so I hope I'm concise and polite.

Nate

P.S. No comments about using the Bullsheet for the kindling starter?  I got a chuckle about the irony.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  11. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Good job Nate!  Awesome brisket.

Mike