• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chocolate rub for jerky

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Tried it at the food show. Don't think of it as a hershey bar, think of it as a dry cocoa powder with other spices, not sweet. It was excellent. Going to prepare jerky tonight or tomorrow for smokin on Saturday. I think that 1 lb of it will be the chocolate...

tonto1117

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2007
Found some "chocalate rub" in a food specialty store near me a while back and loved it!!! I mixed a bit of it with my regular brisket rub and...wow, mighty tastey. Didn't like it on pork so much though seemed to go nicely with beef. Let us know how your jerky comes out

Cocoa, coffee, and other spices like cinnamon are used in rubs and sauces all the time, alot by comp teams who are looking for that exta special somthing to set them apart from the rest..... and they won't be giving up their recipe's anytime soon either.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Hmmmmmmmmm

Not being a big fan of chocolate unless it's got lots of nuts or peanutbutter in it I can't imagine this ...

abigail4476

Jeff's Woman
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 3, 2005
Cocoa was used as a savory spice long before it ever made it to the candy shops....there are hundreds of recipes to use it in that aren't sweet at all...

Debi - you wouldn't be cooking with chocolate...you'd be cooking with cocoa...not the same. Don't believe me? Dip your finger into cocoa powder and give it a taste....LOL!!!

My family loves Chicken Mole Enchiladas!

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 29, 2006
Cocoa is used in chili and other Mexican foods (mighty good too!), seems reasonable it would fit right in rubs and other things used by smokers.
I'd try it in a New York second! And I think I will!

tonto1117

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2007
That's exactly the same thing as I had found in the specialty store and loved!!!

Thanks for the link Shellbelc!!

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Abigail -

I believe you! I use cocoa alot in the winter to make hot chocolate. I just have this "thing" against chocolate ...

Ya see it's like this, my big brother loved chocolate cake, I 'm not a big cake person but I can handle vanila or white cake with peanutbutter frosting. Being Mamas only little boy every birthday I got a darn chocolate cake because it was my brothers favorite!

That's probably why he joined the Marines and I joined the Navy!

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Hey Deb, we won't hold it against you for joining the Navy
Pass a Semper Fi to your bro and I'll take a piece of choc cake!!

teacup13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 22, 2007
i put a square of bittersweet bakers chocolate in my chili...shhhh dont tell anybody..lol

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Hey Jeff,
Love your Avatar, too funny. I was just out at the fiery foods show and they had the PETA shirts with a lot of different sayings like that...Do you really put choc in chili?

teacup13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 22, 2007
yup i really do.... it adds a richness to it... i also dont put mine in a crockpot or on the stovetop

i take mine and put into a big turkey roaster and bake it.... it gives it a nicer color and seems to make the flavors come together alot better

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Unfortunately Shell I give anything to have another piece of Mamas chocloate cake cause she'd still be here to make it!

My brother doesn't hold it against me anymore but when he was a youngster he did. Now he's just glad he has one sister that's self sufficent!

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 21, 2006
Don't worry Debi, the government made the Navy responsible for the Marines so someone would be there to make the travel arrangements for them

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
My Dad was Navy and my Uncle was a retired Marine Full bird that came up through the enlisted ranks. To get my Uncle's gander up my Dad would often and LOUDLY proclaim "Over 200 years of Marines guarding the Navy's gates and NOT one has ever been stolen!"

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Yes, the Marines are a dept of the Navy....the BEST dept or as the guys would say, The Men's Dept!!!
We appreciate the ride so we can go do our jobs! Think how my dad, 4 years Navy, felt when his little girl went up to him and told him she joined the Marines!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.