Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Evening fellas and non fellas. Been cool mornings here in middle Tennessee for about the last 3 days so chili was calling my name. I've been making this recipe and tweaking for the last 15 years. 7 years in a row I'm church chili champion. This year will be 8 lol. All jokes aside we love this and so does anyone we share it with. I'm gonna give my recipe. I don't wanna but I've been drinking. Here goes........btw don't share with my church folk lol.

I start off by dicing a large onion. Got 2.5lb of 90/10 beef going in a skillet. Any beef works for this. I've used deer, moose, buffalo. All works well. Added half the onion to the beef and cooked till done
IMG_20200920_132425.jpg

Then drain. After that I Brown 1.5lb hot ground sausage and the remaining onion
IMG_20200920_133108.jpg

Placed all meat in my pot with one 12oz beer, 3c of water,8oz tomato sauce, 5 cloves minced garlic and a few dashes of louisiana hot sauce. Then add in the spices
•3T chili powder
•6 beef bouillon cubes or 2T better than bouillon
•2T cumin
•2t paprika
•2t oregano leaves
•1t unsweetened cocoa
•2t white sugar
•.5t coriander
IMG_20200920_133542.jpg

All into the pot with everything else. Stirred up and bring to a boil
IMG_20200920_134136.jpg

After an hour covered added 2 cans of kidney beans. The Texans will raise issue with this and say it's not chili. Luckily I'm not a Texan I'm an American so this is perfect. Beans mixed in
IMG_20200920_145226.jpg

Let it simmer for a couple more hours or how long ever you want. This is getting close
IMG_20200920_171018.jpg

Made me a bowl. Fritos in the bottom. Extra sharp cheddar, sour cream and green onions
IMG_20200920_184701.jpg

For all you chili fans out there you won't be disappointed by this recipe. It's spicy but not hot. I love it. Chili dogs tomorrow!

Last edited:
Dang Jake, that looks awesome! I'm gonna give it try next go around on the chili!

Man that looks great Jake! That pic in the bowl made me almost lick the phone screen!! Money.

Great looking chili. Thanks for sharing recipe. I am Texan and put beans in mine but use pinto. When I did chili cook offs I would puree the beans and put them in there.

Yup---I could go for a Big Bowl of that right now, to warm me up.
My Heat came on this morning for the first time this season!!
Like.

Bear

Looks great, I cheat and use Bushes Chili Magic,

Absolutely yummy looking! I'm a non-bean guy (don't like the texture in chili or soups). My Texan wife likes beans. Go figure. My solution: puree the beans. Thickens, flavors, and fakes out my brain.
Thanks ray. Never thought about pureed beans but wouldn't be against it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky