Chili time again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Sup All,

Gonna do chili again.. I might take my crock pot insert out and do a Frankensteined over the top chili lol. Anyone see a problem with the crock put insert goin in the grill? or I might just smoke the meat, peppers and onions then put em in the crock pot /shrug.

I also am on the fence about using tomatoe paste, tomatoe sauce. or whole tomatoes in a can but I can if you think those might be better. Any thoughts on the tomatoes? Thoughts on beans diced tomatoes ratio?

Here's what's goin in so far..

1.5 lbs chuck steak
2 lbs ground
5 jalapeno
1 bell pepper
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
1 can red beans
1 can chili beans
1 can rotel tomatoes and green peppers
3 package McCormick chili seasoning
some Kosmos apple chipotle bbq sauce

This was my last batch

2 lbs ground
1 poblano
1 jalapeno
1 bell pepper
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 can red beans
1 can chili beans
1 can rotel tomatoes and green peppers
1 package McCormick chili seasoning

real chili ing 2.jpg

Great start! No idea about the insert on the grill? I like using the whole tomato then crush so you get a solid tomato flesh in some bites. Over the holidays I also dropped fresh tomatoes in then pulled off the skin in a homemade tomato sauce. That was tasty. I'll be curious what the responses are. foamheart foamheart has a great thread on competition chili he used to do. If I remember he talks a bit on the tomato element. I'm in!

• Love
Reactions: negolien
In my opinion adding tomato paste gives it more of a pasta sauce texture. I use a combination of petite diced and regular diced tomatoes. The petite diced once cooked well are easy to crush while in the sauce to give the fleshy texture.

And did I mention, less beans :)

Thanks yeah last time it was good not complaining. Adding an extra 1.5 lbs of protein so not sure how I should adjust my mixture. might take half them jalepenos and make breaded deep fried slices :<)

Reactions: bauchjw
I don’t think you can make bad chili, it really doesn’t matter what you put in the chili, IF you have a good sauce recipe. For me the key is the liquid part of the chili. When we make chili, we just use what we can find in the fridge & freezer And put it in our chili mixture. So many options!
Al

I don’t think you can make bad chili, it really doesn’t matter what you put in the chili, IF you have a good sauce recipe. For me the key is the liquid part of the chili. When we make chili, we just use what we can find in the fridge & freezer And put it in our chili mixture. So many options!
Al

Yeah I got the base recipe down I' am just trying to tweak the liquid and ratio of it. I also am adding almost 2 lbs more of meat so made me think I might have to change it. I might leave out the broth and paste and sauce and just use the diced tomatoes. I got banned from the kitchen by the ole lady due to an apt inspection so I had to scuttle this weeks cook :<(

i like couple cans tomato soup in 2#'s with stewed tomatoes, n no salt tomato sauce.

Chili cook is back on :<)... WOOT WOOT.. Glad they did that inspection for us fast lol. I' am thawing meat will probably do tomorrow.

I' am leaning towards tomato paste 6 oz can, rotel 10 oz 2 cans, a cup of beef broth and a half cup of the bbq sauce.. Not sure I' am gonna use any tomato sauce for the fluids.. so torn lol....

The chili packets are for 1 lb meat, 1 can beans, 1 cans diced tomatoes. So if I were to scale up for three and a half pounds of meat ........ see where I' am goin? really not sure all that stuff will fit in my 6 quart crock pot lol.. Still accepting ideas...

Got a batch going now. Started yesterday. Finishing today. I'm using a crockpot for this batch. I'm not sure about using the crockpot insert on the grill. I always use a dutch oven for that.

P3150059.JPG

Two 14.04 oz can each of light and dark kidney beans. I don't drain them.
2 pounds of ground.
1 large onion diced
Pound of kielbasa sliced thin. 1/8
One 28 oz can tomato sauce.
1 large pablano diced
3 tbs chili powder. I use chili powder that I smoked
1 Tbs cumin, ground
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne powder
3 tbs hot sauce. Have the bottle on the table to add more if you like.
Dash of pepper
Dash of salt.
2 tbs olive oil.

Cook ground beef and onion in olive oil until beef is browned. Drain. I don't concern myself with getting all the oil out.
Throw that in the crockpot. Add all other ingredients
Put crockpot on high. And cook until chili thickens. And beans are tender, no tough skins.

I cook ours on med for 6 hours. Let it cool. And put in fridge overnight.
Next day, put back in crockpot. Set on high until bubbling
Then reduce to med. When it is thickened. Reduce to keep warm until ready to chow!
I think this step really brings out the flavor.

Last edited:
Got a batch going now. Started yesterday. Finishing today. I'm using a crockpot for this batch. I'm not sure about using the crockpot insert on the grill. I always use a dutch oven for that.

View attachment 529054

Two 14.04 oz can each of light and dark kidney beans. I don't drain them.
2 pounds of ground.
1 large onion diced
Pound of kielbasa sliced thin. 1/8
One 28 oz can tomato sauce.
1 large pablano diced
3 tbs chili powder. I use chili powder that I smoked
1 Tbs cumin, ground
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne powder
3 tbs hot sauce. Have the bottle on the table to add more if you like.
Dash of pepper
Dash of salt.
2 tbs olive oil.

Cook ground beef and onion in olive oil until beef is browned. Drain. I don't concern myself with getting all the oil out.
Throw that in the crockpot. Add all other ingredients
Put crockpot on high. And cook until chili thickens. And beans are tender, no tough skins.

I cook ours on med for 6 hours. Let it cool. And put in fridge overnight.
Next day, put back in crockpot. Set on high until bubbling
Then reduce to med. When it is thickened. Reduce to keep warm until ready to chow!
I think this step really brings out the flavor.

Nice bud so four cans of beans and 3 lbs of meat. How big's your pot? Nice idea for thickening it thanks I might try it. Maybe I will nix the diced tomatoes and go with tomato sauce. What kind of taste does paste have i don't usually ever use tomato paste. The ole lady nixed the crock put on the grill idea btw :<( lol.

Nice bud so four cans of beans and 3 lbs of meat. How big's your pot? Nice idea for thickening it thanks I might try it. Maybe I will nix the diced tomatoes and go with tomato sauce. What kind of taste does paste have i don't usually ever use tomato paste. The ole lady nixed the crock put on the grill idea btw :<( lol.

Two pounds of beef. I don't use paste either. Though I have in other recipes. It just thickens a sauce.

I'm glad you have the chuck going in there. To me, chili made with ground beef is just another word for hot dog sauce. I add beef broth to my liquid and go lite on the tomato. I also use the food processor on halve the veggies and mince the other halve. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Chris

I'm glad you have the chuck going in there. To me, chili made with ground beef is just another word for hot dog sauce. I add beef broth to my liquid and go lite on the tomato. I also use the food processor on halve the veggies and mince the other halve. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Chris

Thanks It might be too much with all of that goin in but we'll see lol. Shouldn't be too different than the last one I made honestly except for the added chuck.

Ok Chili is In the crock pot..

I went with the following

2 lbs ground beef
1.5 lbs chuck cut up
2 cans diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 yellow onion
1 red onion
1 bell pepper
3 jalapenos seeded
1 can tomato sauce
1.5 cups beef broth
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto chili beans
2 packets of the chili seasoning

Browned the ground first, drained put in crock pot, then I lightly coated the cut up chuck and browned it in 3 batches. drained put in, then I cut up the veggies cooked till yellow onions started to get a little clear drained and put in pot... I then added all the other ingredients mixed and let her rip. Looks a bit dry but knowing how those work just because it doesn't look like soup now means squat lol. I' am a little scared because it's pretty full so we'll see how that goes. thanks for lookin.

Christian
chili1.jpg
chili2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky