Chile Mango Glazed St. Louis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
So over time I've been working on my Al Pastor ribs and I've got'em down pretty good now.
For my day late 54th birthday feast I wanted to try something a little different, and instead of pineapple I went with mango.
And what a pleasant result I had.

Started with some butter and brown sugar in a saucepan and caramelized it.
Then I took some chunky Mango Salsa I bought at Costco and tossed it in the blender to smooth it out, added that into the caramel and let it cook a bit. Thought it was still a little thin so I added a healthy amount of cornstarch slurry and it thickened up like jelly.
Gave it a taste and decided it need a kick. So I added in a generous jolt of Guajillo chile powder, and now it knew how to get some attention.
So there I was with a new glaze, one with a serious attitude to compliment it's delicious fruitiness.

i6GHpKnl.jpg LN6o9sBl.jpg

I rubbed my ribs with my standard pork rub recipe, smoked them over cherry at an average temp of 240° for about seven hours.

y8gXiyml.jpg

Chile Mango

I678USdl.jpg

Dry Rubbed

yUlDsSrl.jpg

I glazed one rack with the Chile Mango, one thick layer about 45 minutes before they were done and then gave them a thin layer when they came out. The Chile Mango was a big hit with the family, even the In-Laws with their soft mouths got in on them.
I should've just glazed all three racks.

I froze enough of it to do 4-6 racks in the future.

aVJdNvxl.jpg
bJ96lz0l.jpg
6QLpz4rl.jpg

For a side I debated a Wild Rice dish of some sort.
Straight up wild rice? Wild rice cooked in butter, chicken stock and garlic? Wild rice with vegetable stock and a mix of diced veggies?

Then it came to me, a recipe I'd been wanting to try,
Fondant Potatoes

For best results Fondant potatoes are best done with a starchy potato like Russets, gives the best smooth creamy texture inside.
Peel the taters and cut them into rough cylinders with flat ends, all about the same height, I went about 1-1/2"-2".
Preheat your oven to 350°, and grab an oven safe frying pan, e.g. cast iron.
Add some bacon grease (my choice) and fry them hot and fast like a scallop on both sides till beautifully golden brown and crisp.
Reduce the heat to med-low and add a very generous amount of butter and either fresh thyme or rosemary, I used sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Also add some chopped garlic, now saute the bottoms of the taters for a few minutes.
Be sure to spoon some over the tops too and then hit them with plenty of salt and pepper.

7130jj8l.jpg

Now add some vegetable or chicken stock, about a third of the way up the sides of the taters, and transfer to the oven till they're tender.
In about 25-30 minutes they'll be tender, and they'll have soaked up most of that butter and stock.

Pkiw9c6l.jpg

Spoon what's left across the tops again and serve.
Be prepared to say, "Wow, these are fantastic!" and listen to the compliments.

1MKeBbGl.jpg

I also laid out a self service salad bar.

hTOUdnrl.jpg

And had a bag of frozen Orange Slices for dessert.
No plated shots, the HERD was hungry and it was best to get mine and get out of the way.

Last edited:
So over time I've been working on my Al Pastor ribs and I've got'em down pretty good now.
For my day late 54th birthday feast I wanted to try something a little different, and instead of pineapple I went with mango.
And what a pleasant result I had.

Started with some butter and brown sugar in a saucepan and caramelized it.
Then I took some chunky Mango Salsa I bought at Costco and tossed it in the blender to smooth it out, added that into the caramel and let it cook a bit. Thought it was still a little thin so I added a healthy amount of cornstarch slurry and it thickened up like jelly.
Gave it a taste and decided it need a kick. So I added in a generous jolt of Guajillo chile powder, and now it knew how to get some attention.
So there I was with a new glaze, one with a serious attitude to compliment it's delicious fruitiness.

View attachment 639846View attachment 639847

I rubbed my ribs with my standard pork rub recipe, smoked them over cherry at an average temp of 240° for about seven hours.

View attachment 639848
View attachment 639849
View attachment 639850

I glazed one rack with the Chile Mango, one thick layer about 45 minutes before they were done and then gave them a thin layer when they came out. The Chile Mango was a big hit with the family, even the In-Laws with their soft mouths got in on them.
I should've just glazed all three racks.

View attachment 639851
View attachment 639852
View attachment 639853

For a side I debated a Wild Rice dish of some sort.
Straight up wild rice? Wild rice cooked in butter, chicken stock and garlic? Wild rice with vegetable stock and a mix of diced veggies?

Then it came to me, a recipe I'd been wanting to try, Fondant Potatoes.
For best results Fondant potatoes are best done with a starchy potato like Russets, gives the best smooth creamy texture inside.
Peel the taters and cut them into rough cylinders with flat ends, all about the same height, I went about 1-1/2"-2".
Preheat your oven to 350°, and grab an oven safe frying pan, e.g. cast iron.
Add some bacon grease (my choice) you fry them hot and fast like a scallop on both sides till beautifully golden brown and crisp.
Reduce the heat and add a very generous amount of butter and either thyme of rosemary, I used sprigs of fresh rosemary, also add some chopped garlic and saute the bottoms of the taters, be sure to spoon some over the tops too.

View attachment 639854

Now add some vegetable or chicken stock, about a third of the way up the sides of the taters, and transfer to the oven till they're tender.
In about 25-30 minutes they'll be tender, and they'll have soaked up most of that butter and stock.

View attachment 639855

Spoon what's left across the tops again and serve.
Be prepared to say, "Wow, these are fantastic!" and listen to the compliments.

View attachment 639856

I also laid out a self service salad bar.

View attachment 639857

And had a bag of frozen Orange Slices for dessert.
No plated shots, the HERD was hungry and it was best to get mine and get out of the way.
Holy Carp. That all looks excellent. Mouth is watering

Reactions: chilerelleno
Wow....you went and done it again my friend!! That all looks and sounds spectacular. Sounds like a very nice late b-day. Icing on the cake is that you got your spice kick but the soft-mouths also enjoyed it. A true win-win situation sir.

Robert

Happy belated " B " day.

Love the Glaze, and you are like me or me like you, cook taste add , cook taste add more
Ribs look great and I love me some potatoes .
Nice meal Chili

David
Thanks David.
I too like a good glaze, and yes, I too 'build' a recipe as I'm cooking it without an established recipe.
Start small, especially with salt and other spices and herbs.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow....you went and done it again my friend!! That all looks and sounds spectacular. Sounds like a very nice late b-day. Icing on the cake is that you got your spice kick but the soft-mouths also enjoyed it. A true win-win situation sir.

Robert
Thanks Robert!
Pleasing my picky in-laws is always a win, and doing it with something I liked too... Yeah, "WOW!"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky