Chicken on top or bottom?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
This comes up now and then Chicken on Top, Chicken on Bottom...It don't matter! Everything is taking place at temps WELL above the Instant Kill Temp of 165°F...

You are smoking a rack of Ribs, 225°F, at the 4 hours mark you put a whole drippy Chicken on top for a 2 hour smoke. Red Bacteria laden Chix juices are oozing all over the Ribs...ONE MINUTE later you realize the smoker temps were higher than you thought, this whole time the smoker was at 275°F, and Those Ribs Are Done! You immediately remove the Ribs...Any Problem here???? Is a trip to the Hospital certain??? NOPE!

The " surface " of those Ribs are 275°F! There is not a single Bacteria known to man that can survive more than few SECONDS at 165°F !!! There is just No Way the Salmonella, or anything else, see Dave Omak's chart below right column, could possibly survive contact with the 275°F surface of the Ribs. ALL Bacteria are Instantly killed and there is no chance of food-borne illness eating those Chicken basted Ribs...Even with Rare Steak. Bacteria can't Bore into the happily cool center and the Surface is 275°...More than instant Death to all!

Ok...There is mentally some YUCK factor because raw Chicken juices dripping sounds nasty but no Safety issues exist. In every other case the Chicken and other meat will be in the 225+ temps for hours. Above or below, again all bacteria is killed...

Tasting Spoons...People will see a Chef on some YouTube video, stir in some seasoning to a simmering pot, taste with the mixing spoon, then add more seasoning and stir it in with THE SAME SPOON!!! OMG, the Seventh Seal has been broken and Satan will rise to reek havoc on the world for a Millenia!!!.
NO, No ,No...The Simmering Liquid is around 200°F. Any Mouth Bacteria on the spoon was instantly killed. This is the same reason we can make foods like Gumbo in stages. Get the Roux and Trinity going, add the Sausage. Cook a few minutes and add the Raw Chicken. Getting near done and add the Raw Shimp and finish simmering 5 more minutes. Any Bacteria on the Veg, ,Sausage, Chicken, or Shimp, meet their Demise in seconds, once added. If it didn't work this way? There'd be a Shortage a CAJUNS! ...JJ

• full.jpg

nice wright up, I am one of the guys that would never put chicken on top, thinking raw chicken dripping on the other food would be a disaster.

Well put. Have to about the yuck factor could take precedence in this house. We sometimes treat raw chicken like it's on par with nuclear waste in terms of contaminating things...

Virtually every case of Salmonella has not come from eating Chicken, even undercooked chicken, since Salmonella dies pretty fast at 130°F. It's the contamination of foods that are not cooked or heated before eating that's the issue. Walked into a restaurant kitchen I was taking over and found they stored Raw Chicken on a high shelf over all SALAD and SANDWICH FIXIN'S! The staff had no idea that was a bad thing...JJ

Thanks for the Likes guys...JJ

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
and if temps would kill all the ugly stuff, CWD has entered Tn in spots and may be more spread than we know. no know human cases that they known but its possible

Another excellent, useful and actionable information piece.
Thanks!
These type of posts should make up the majority of the posts in the topic, in my opinion.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The first paragraph is missing the instant kill temp. It just ends with of.

The first paragraph is missing the instant kill temp. It just ends with of.

I suspect many know the Kill Temp is 165 so their brain just fills in the blank...
Thanks for posting, I missed it too...JJ

Virtually every case of Salmonella has not come from eating Chicken, even undercooked chicken, since Salmonella dies pretty fast at 130°F. It's the contamination of foods that are not cooked or heated before eating that's the issue. Walked into a restaurant kitchen I was taking over and found they stored Raw Chicken on a high shelf over all SALAD and SANDWICH FIXIN'S! The staff had no idea that was a bad thing...JJ
Yep, last year on business travel I got Salmonella. It was so bad I had to go to the doctors to get treated for it and they reported to the TN health department. Turns out I was one of about a dozen cases nationwide from one particular restaurant. Most of the doomed guests like me got it from the red snapper. According to the health department guy I was in conversation with, they narrowed it down to cross contamination from raw chicken to the fish. I should have got the steak instead......

Yep, last year on business travel I got Salmonella. It was so bad I had to go to the doctors to get treated for it and they reported to the TN health department. Turns out I was one of about a dozen cases nationwide from one particular restaurant. Most of the doomed guests like me got it from the red snapper. According to the health department guy I was in conversation with, they narrowed it down to cross contamination from raw chicken to the fish. I should have got the steak instead......
Oh, I had Salmonella too and this is very unpleasant thing.. glad to know that TN health department found that restaurant

Tasting Spoons...People will see a Chef on some YouTube video, stir in some seasoning to a simmering pot, taste with the mixing spoon, then add more seasoning and stir it in with THE SAME SPOON!!! OMG, the Seventh Seal has been broken and Satan will rise to reek havoc on the world for a Millenia!!!.
Oh man I miss this guy: the perfect blend of knowledge, common sense, and sense of humor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky