Chicken Drumsticks - Brine or No?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

T2timmy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Ive got a family package of Drumsticks im planning to Smoke on my Camp Chef Pro Pellet smoker. Thoughts on brining or not overnight? Was gonna use a basic salt/ brown sugar/alspice type brine.
Thanks!

I'm not into brining chicken parts. I will give them a garlic and herb rub down before they go on the Kettle/Vortex combo for a high heat cook. I also use an apple wood for the smokey flavor.

Chris

Reactions: T2timmy
I brine all my Chicken. Overnight is good but if you use 1/2C Morton Kosher or less, you can go a couple of days...JJ

Some Allspice would be great in the brine I use...

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran. Garlic

2T Gran. Onion

2T Dry Thyme

2T Black Pepper

1C Vinegar (Any)

1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

You could throw them on your smoker naked and I could tear up that whole family package of drums all in one sitting! If you put some herbs and spices and a little salt- Even better! But the best chicken I've ever had has been brined first. Parts, pieces, halved or whole doesn't matter. Im in love with the slaughterhouse brine and sometimes with cure added. JJ, I'm going to have to give your brine recipe above a try next.

With allspice, I'll bet some apple juice would be good instead of water for a brine.

Best part about drums is that you can experiment and do them a few ways on one batch. No wrong way but poultry is must brine for us. We like drums cured on pitmasters blend to about 180F. Rest a day or so, dry rub and grilled. Once again, you can experiment with different rubs and/or sauces here too.

Thanks all! Great advise!!
How bout smoke temps/times. I was thinkin like 220 the whole time..and then jump up to 350 to crisp the skin?

With allspice, I'll bet some apple juice would be good instead of water for a brine.[/QUOTE]

That would work. Substitute a 12oz can of Apple Juice Concentrate for the Sugar...JJ

Thanks all! Great advise!!
How bout smoke temps/times. I was thinkin like 220 the whole time..and then jump up to 350 to crisp the skin?

That will be good. Smoke to no higherrors an IT than 165, then crisp them up to 175-180 for FOB and juicy...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky