• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cherry, how much is to much?

Tiburon

Joined Aug 19, 2019
Got some Cherry to do maple ribs with but Son tells me cherry can ruin your meat, to strong? Anyway I figure if it's recomended it is god to go, then I thought, but how much do you use, load the smoke box light or heavy or some where inbetween?
How someone understands my rattling and can point me in the right direction.

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
I don't think cherry is a real strong wood. I use it for chicken and ribs and it sort of reminds me of cherry pie on the finished food.

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
T, IMHO cherry is one of the softer smokes, I use cherry on ribs a lot.

creek bottom

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 13, 2019
Cherry is a mild smoke compared to oak or hickory... It's an excellent wood for pork, chicken, turkey, etc...

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
It can put some dark color on the meat pretty fast if you use alot of it . I mix it with other wood most of the time .

Tiburon

Joined Aug 19, 2019
Thank you for the quick answers. I'll go ahead with my smoke and let you know how it turns out.

bgaviator

Meat Mopper
Joined May 9, 2010
50/50 hickory and cherry is my go to for just about everything now....pork shoulder and ribs. I like smoking fresh bratwurst over cherry wood.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
The cherry you use depends if it is pure cherry or mixed in pellet form...
I've tried pure cherry chunks and thought it ruined the meat...
Maybe a 10-20% mix would be good...
Todd's Pittmaster's Choice is a mix and it is awesome....
Pitmaster's Choice - Cherry, Hickory, & Maple Blend

motolife313

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 27, 2016
I start my fire with only wood and start it after the meat is on the grates. Always comes out good with just about any wood including cherry. I use cherry a lot and it’s good stuff. I speed dried this cherry is about 4 - 6 months. I got one piece left. Sold most of it and used some of it. Cherry is my very most common wood I sell, i even use walnut and have used it on fish and steaks and comes out great
A3323C9E-ECB3-47DE-ACDB-FE0556322B7F.jpeg
B7CDACB8-444F-4C09-9705-45BE2702610A.jpeg
to really answer your question I don’t think you will have any problem with using 100 percent cherry since 100 percent walnut works for me and lot of guys say it’s bitter. Not for my and the folks eating my bbq

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2019
Wild black cherry is great. Not overpowering to me. I cut my own and let it season for several more months than my other woods like Hickory, Pecan and Oak.

ofelles

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 16, 2019
I regularly use a 50/50 pecan cherry mix on butts. Cherry darkens the bark.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.