Cherry, how much is to much?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tiburon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 19, 2019
Got some Cherry to do maple ribs with but Son tells me cherry can ruin your meat, to strong? Anyway I figure if it's recomended it is god to go, then I thought, but how much do you use, load the smoke box light or heavy or some where inbetween?
How someone understands my rattling and can point me in the right direction.

I don't think cherry is a real strong wood. I use it for chicken and ribs and it sort of reminds me of cherry pie on the finished food.

It can put some dark color on the meat pretty fast if you use alot of it . I mix it with other wood most of the time .

Thank you for the quick answers. I'll go ahead with my smoke and let you know how it turns out.

50/50 hickory and cherry is my go to for just about everything now....pork shoulder and ribs. I like smoking fresh bratwurst over cherry wood.

The cherry you use depends if it is pure cherry or mixed in pellet form...
I've tried pure cherry chunks and thought it ruined the meat...
Maybe a 10-20% mix would be good...
Todd's Pittmaster's Choice is a mix and it is awesome....
Pitmaster's Choice - Cherry, Hickory, & Maple Blend

I start my fire with only wood and start it after the meat is on the grates. Always comes out good with just about any wood including cherry. I use cherry a lot and it’s good stuff. I speed dried this cherry is about 4 - 6 months. I got one piece left. Sold most of it and used some of it. Cherry is my very most common wood I sell, i even use walnut and have used it on fish and steaks and comes out great
A3323C9E-ECB3-47DE-ACDB-FE0556322B7F.jpeg
B7CDACB8-444F-4C09-9705-45BE2702610A.jpeg
to really answer your question I don’t think you will have any problem with using 100 percent cherry since 100 percent walnut works for me and lot of guys say it’s bitter. Not for my and the folks eating my bbq

Reactions: daveomak
Wild black cherry is great. Not overpowering to me. I cut my own and let it season for several more months than my other woods like Hickory, Pecan and Oak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky