Charcoal Gravity Feed Build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin monkey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sutton In Ashfield, UK
This is my first attempt at building a Charcoal Gravity Feed Smoker.

I did not want a full size unit, so I decided to build what I call a Table Top version.

Started assembling the frame with the help of 90' clamps to keep things square.

Frame Built.

Had a good idea to line the inside with Stainless Steel, turned out to be the wrong decision as it twisted all over!

Fabricated the Charcoal Chute.

All welded together. 10mm Holes drilled to allow heat flow into main chamber.

Chute welded into frame.

Fire Chute connected to main chamber.

Stainless Steel Section added to put heat into the Centre of the chamber.

Stainless Steel Heat Deflector plate added.

Insulated added.

Outer skin applied.

Manufacturing Chimney with Butterfly valve.

Door Fitted using Bullet Hinges.

All Painted and Smokin Monkey Logo added.

Using a Q Master Senior controller, and with this it runs with in 1'C.

Last edited:
Niiiiiice! Man I wish I had the kind of supplies needed to build a custom smoker. I have so many amazing ideas that I think I'd have a new one every month.

Wow, amazing! Looks great and like noxwaste said, I wish I had the supplies/tools, and also the skills to build something like that.

What did you mean when you said the interior stainless steel "twisted all over"?

Niiiiiice! Man I wish I had the kind of supplies needed to build a custom smoker. I have so many amazing ideas that I think I'd have a new one every month.

Two minds think a like. I have so many ideas that I have to stop myself. I have around 12 smokers now, some that are in storage and only used once.

What did you mean when you said the interior stainless steel "twisted all over"?

Thanks for the thumps up on the build.

The twisting all over comment, was made because Stainless Steel expands with heat, and as I am not the best welder, going back and re-welding caused the plates to twist.

I am impressed with the performance and economic use of Charcoal from this pit.

I added a full chute of Charcoal around 5kg (11lbs) set my Q Master Senior @ 105'C (221'F) I also recorded the temperature on my iGrill2.

The iGrill measured around 111'C (232'F)

The temperature stayed with in +-2'C!!

So 5kg of charcoal and this pit ran for 26 hours, with still some charcoal left!

The iGrill2 ? Says it can connect upto 45 meters??? Mine was less than 10 meters and it kept on losing connection! At least the Q Master Senior performed good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky