Char Siu Pork Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love Char Siu Pork. I love jerky. Why not put the two together? I had to give it a try.

I started with a pork loin. You want to find the leanest piece of pork you can. Trim off any surface fat and slice the pork into ¼ inch (6 mm) thick slices. I like to do this when the pork is slightly frozen, but a good slicing knife can do the job even on a thawed pork loin.

You will hear a lot of discussion about whether to cut with or across the grain of the meat. It is true that cutting across the grain makes a less chewy jerky and with the grain gives more chew, but both are fine. Cut it whatever way is easy for you.

Char Siu Pork Jerky 1.jpg

Mix:

• 250 ml (1 cup) soy sauce
  • 60 ml (4 tablespoons) hoisin
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) five spice
  • 10 ml (1 teaspoon) sriracha (could substitute 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) hot pepper sauce)
  • 125 ml (1 cup) brown sugar
  • 3.2 grams (2.5 ml) (1/2 tsp) Prague Powder #1
Put the pork in a nonreactive container and pour the marinade over it. Cover the container and put it in the fridge for two days, stirring the meat around a couple of times.

Char Siu Pork Jerky 2.jpg

Spread the pork on a rack and pat the surface dry with a paper towel. Flip the meat and pat dry with paper towel. Let sit in the open for 2 hours to dry.

Preheat a smoker to 200 F (95 C) put the jerky on the racks. If you don’t have enough room for all the jerky, you can put a skewer through 1 end of the meat and hang the slices between the rack bars.

Hi-Mountain-Bourbon-BBQ-Jerky-2.jpg

Cook for 2 hours until the meat is leathery but not dry.

The surface should crack on bending but not break. I start checking about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Char Siu Pork Jerky a.jpg

Char Siu Pork Jerky b.jpg

The Verdict

This is terrific. It has a real Asian flavour reminiscent of Chinese BBQ pork. If you have not made jerky from pork loin before, do it. It gives a great texture. This is one of my favourite jerkies.

Disco

Looks Great, Disco!!
Yup---The best Jerky I ever made was from Pork Loin!!
Also the cheapest!
Like,

Bear

I need to give this a shot. Sounds great...JJ

Reactions: Winterrider
Point for dang sure. That's beautiful

Chris

Looks and sounds very good.

I do have you question your ml to tsp conversions. In particular the sriracha amount.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky