Cervelat ~ My Way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Cervelat is about any mildly seasoned, cured, smoked, semi-dry sausage that includes most "Summer sausage" formulations. I wanted to take it to a new level so I went a tick spicier on pepper, added hi-temp cheese and some jalapeno peppers. My goal with this batch was to enjoy it chilled with crackers, or fried up for a sandwich (think bologna) or even as a breakfast meat. My blend was 70% pork butt and 30% beef. My ambient temps were around 0°F so I had to use some heat to achieve cold smoking :emoji_laughing:. Using my Big Chief with the lid blocked gave me a smoker temp in the 40°F to 50°F range, and over two days I put in around 10 hours total of smoke time. Finish was in a 154° sous vide bath for 3.5 hours followed by a ice bath.

XZrdCC9.jpg
enBYbB9.jpg
bFLCCLr.jpg
Nr2rTH3.jpg
oHNYaaA.jpg

Looks great. I’m really liking the SV finish with cold water soak on natural casings too. With my bigger sausages 4-5” mortadella or Krakowska, it’s the only way to finish.

I'm thinking I'll be at your house for brekky tomorrow! I'll bring the coffee! Looks darn good.
Jim

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I forgot to mention I fried up some test patties the morning after making it to see how the flavors blended, especially the jalapenos (which were "tamed" jalapenos in the jar).... I liked it well enough that next time I'm going to make a few pounds more to package in bulk. I'll cut back on the cure, and treat it as a fresh sausage.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks good for sure . I was doing the SV finish for larger chubs , but like it better finished in the smoker .
Nice work on that , looks great .
next time I'm going to make a few pounds more to package in bulk. I'll cut back on the cure, and treat it as a fresh sausage.
I do that with bologna . Fried up from fresh is awesome . I just leave it the same though . No adjustments for cure .

May I be the first to say that you nailed that? It looks nothing short of amazing. Very well done!!
Please set the table for two extra folks as I'll be there too :emoji_laughing:

Robert
I'll raid the freezer..... Maybe a breakfast buffet?
2xTOL8n.jpg

Looks good for sure . I was doing the SV finish for larger chubs , but like it better finished in the smoker .
Nice work on that , looks great .

I do that with bologna . Fried up from fresh is awesome . I just leave it the same though . No adjustments for cure .
Thanks for the kind words. I have a hard time catching the 152° - 155°. Other than my Chief's (which have no actual temperature control), all my cookers are charcoal fueled. It's easy to overshoot the internal temp. For decades I used a Nesco roaster and hot water bath. My sous vide is just a more accurate device.

I'm not sure if Cure tightens up the texture, or it might be the NFDM? But in some fresh sausages I like a little Cure or TQ to keep the pink color.

Reactions: chopsaw
. I have a hard time catching the 152° - 155°. Other than my Chief's (which have no actual temperature control), all my cookers are charcoal fueled.
I completely understand that . So yup SV would be the way to go .

I'm not sure if Cure tightens up the texture, or it might be the NFDM? But in some fresh sausages I like a little Cure or TQ to keep the pink color.
I think it adds to the texture , I still consider it " fresh " even with the cure , if it hasn't been cooked yet . I think both the milk powder and the cure are a plus .
1645923402596.jpeg
. For decades I used a Nesco roaster and hot water bath.
I stepped away from the SV for smaller sausages , and went to a 30 minute poach in 175 degree water . I bet that roaster worked great .

Anyway , you nailed this . Really nice work .

Reactions: thirdeye
Wow! That looks awesome. You guys are killing me with these. I can’t keep up with all the curing and sausages! I feel the pull, but I have no time!

Reactions: indaswamp
Congrats on the feature ride.
You are a man after my own stomach. I love summer sausage 3 ways.

My buddy that owns a shop makes cheddar jalapeno products. He uses minced jalapeno flakes.
I don't use TQ due to the nitrate. Nitrate converts to nitrosamines when cooked.

Looks great! Question. Getting geared up to make a batch of summer sausage. Haven't done some in about a year now. And I'll be using a SV for the first time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky