Cedar Plank vs. my fence?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Steve,

That's not how the Indians do it, the fillet is cut with the skin on. The skin side goes against the plank / board whatever, and is tied in place with string. The board is stuck in the ground at a 5-10º angle with the exposed meat side toward the fire, it's not that hot, and it smoke, cooks for a few hours. When it's done, the board is pulled up, the string is cut and the fish removed from the board. The fish is served skin side down and the meat is peeled or cut away from the skin as you eat it. Normally this is done with nothing but a knife and your fingers. And yep they smell pretty ripe afterwords.

Sorry, but I have to whole heartedly disagree. I used cedar planks for grilling salmon quite often a year or two back. Soak them, spray one side with pam or similar, and lay the fish skin side down on them. Grill at around 350 over direct flame. There is definitely a unique flavor imparted, and the boards are prone to burning. It is not intended for smoking low and slow. The whole process takes maybe 20 minutes if it is a thick piece.

"Sorry, but I have to whole heartedly disagree. I used cedar planks for grilling salmon quite often a year or two back. Soak them, spray one side with pam or similar, and lay the fish skin side down on them. Grill at around 350 over direct flame. There is definitely a unique flavor imparted, and the boards are prone to burning. It is not intended for smoking low and slow. The whole process takes maybe 20 minutes if it is a thick piece."

Interesting, going to have to try this.

As for if it does or doesnt add flavor, sound like an experiment needs to be done!!
wink.gif
You would think that it does as it has become real popular the last few years, but I have never done it.

First off I'll ignore the beginning part of your statement, which I haven't quoted here, because I will assume you didn't mean it as derogatory to those of us who are not native americans.

In reference to the part which I quoted above I would have to disagree. I smoke and grill salmon all the time on cedar planks. Cedar is a very aromatic wood and when it burns or is exposed to heat it smokes and flavors the food as any other aromatic wood such as hickory, oak, apple, etc.

I would encourage you to try it. I did once when I was one plank short, and there was a subtle difference. I've considered trying it in an oven to see if it is just contact with the wood under heat, or the slight burning the wood does that flavors it. Not sure really. I would have posted results of it, but it was before I joined the great folks here at SMF.

You may well be correct if you are grilling the fish on a chunk of cedar. That is a much hotter way to cook. The Indians are definitely not grilling the fish by this method the temperature cant be more than 150 degrees where the fish is located, radiant heat may account for something here too though. the boards never burn or smoke when used this way. What your describing, using it on a grill surface is something completely different. And no offense was intended by the way.
Jimbo

There is a fancy restaurant here in town, I ordered cedar plank salmon for dinner one night. It was a fence board. I got the end of the board w/ the cut off corners and it still had a staple in the end. LOL 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky