Catering calculation sheet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin stro

Original poster
Aug 19, 2019
Does anyone know of an up to date spreadsheet use for catering and calculating pricing. with the current rise in meat products Just want to make sure I am going down the right path. I know alot of people state that the rule of thumb is 3 times the price of material .
Any thoughts?
TIA

Catering Spreadsheets, can help you figure How Much food needed for X number of people, but you have to add the Actual price and size/weight of the product you bought or will buy to determine cost.
Cost times 3 works. But, call other catering operations and see what they charge. Big difference in Price between dropping off a bunch of pans of food and having to set up and serve it. Getting info on other operations will give a better idea of what your Demographic will support. Cost X 3 may be Too Much of Too Little...JJ

Cost times 3 is a convenient rule of thumb, but has to be tempered with the knowledge that certain food costs are so high that it is somewhat unreasonable to use that. That said, a savvy restauranteur/caterer/vendor will tell you that you can still use that rule if you are offsetting the cost of the high price item by pairing it with low cost items.

When I cater I try and get to as close to cost times 3, because my time/labor and the small incidentals I forget about do add up and cut into my profits.

In addition to the sheet above, here are a few spreadsheets from Chef Resources that I use which might help you out.

For each recipe - I make a basic and scaled recipe and plate cost template. File them in my library.
One thing that is different in my use, once I write the prep order in the event planner, I keep a copy it each recipe on a blank page in the scaling form. This way I just copy the instruction and paste them in the new event prep instructions updating the date/time group and responsible individual.
Then as an event comes up, I create planning template adding a recipe from the library as a individual worksheet, update the prep and load forms.
  • Event Planning Form - idea, menu, load plan, order, prep schedule, recipes with cost
  • Recipe Scaling Form that will help you adjust your recipe quantities. Also includes a prep direction sheet. I give this to my help, if any, to use.
  • Recipe per Plate Cost. This is a personal form for adjusting my costs and so my accountant (Mrs. Wurtz) can manage the money! LOL!!!
Hope these are some help. 🍻
John

Attachments

• Event_Planning_Form_ Mastr.xls
    220.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Recipe_Scaling_Form_PScharf_v2.xlsx
    53.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Recipe-Plate-Cost-Template - Master.xls
    106.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Event_Planning_Form_ Mastr.xls
    220.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Recipe-Plate-Cost-Template - Master.xls
    106.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Recipe_Scaling_Form_PScharf_v2.xlsx
    53.8 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: PPG1 and krj
In addition to the sheet above, here are a few spreadsheets from Chef Resources that I use which might help you out.

For each recipe - I make a basic and scaled recipe and plate cost template. File them in my library.
One thing that is different in my use, once I write the prep order in the event planner, I keep a copy it each recipe on a blank page in the scaling form. This way I just copy the instruction and paste them in the new event prep instructions updating the date/time group and responsible individual.
Then as an event comes up, I create planning template adding a recipe from the library as a individual worksheet, update the prep and load forms.
  • Event Planning Form - idea, menu, load plan, order, prep schedule, recipes with cost
  • Recipe Scaling Form that will help you adjust your recipe quantities. Also includes a prep direction sheet. I give this to my help, if any, to use.
  • Recipe per Plate Cost. This is a personal form for adjusting my costs and so my accountant (Mrs. Wurtz) can manage the money! LOL!!!
John

Wow!!! That's some amazing work right there. I'll have to give those sheets a try for my little vendor event for the 4th.

Reactions: Wurstmeister

John
Great Post! Thanks

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Wow!!! That's some amazing work right there. I'll have to give those sheets a try for my little vendor event for the 4th.

Thanks krj for the complement. They also work nicely for family gatherings. With all of the small moving parts and distractions that come into play, if it's not written down, it won't or didn't happen. Keep in mind, there is nothing "little" about an event. They always grow exponentially beyond expectations/resources, and usually right at starting time!

You know that we will be watching for photos and a narrative on the outcome of your event. Good Luck! 🍻
John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky