Cast Iron Skillet Reccomendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdewitt

Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
Hi All,

Newbie with an Oklahoma joe Longhorne combo grill/smoker, and was wondering if anyone had and cast iron skillet recommendations?

Have you looked at the Lodge offerings? They are good grill ware. Second hand cast iron is another option. I use a 12" deep skillet w/ lid most often. 12" Dutch oven is another must have. Besides a skillet, what are you specifically looking for?

Lodge is a good buy for a new skillet. If you could locate a vintage Griswold or Wagner at a antique market or garage sale, they are better. They tend to be milled a little finer, sanded smoother, weigh less. You usually find them a with seasoning build up and not that pretty but if in decent shape other wise, can be restored fairly easily to top condition. Check that the skillet lays flat on a flat surface, and no cracks.

If you like diy projects and find one in rough shape, electrolysis is a fun, no scrubbing way to get it TOTALLY clean. It will strip everything.
You have to be ready to immediately season it though, it will rust immediately.

Otherwise, we recently purchased a Field Co #12. It is much smoother than a lodge, but not totally smooth like a vintage Griswold. It is light weight compared to a lodge. Cheaper than a vintage one in good shape. I don't have a vintage #12 skillet to compare to (if I did, I wouldn't have bought a new one 😂 ). We are still working on building up the seasoning, so I can't yet give a good review.

Reactions: kawboy and sdewitt
Have you looked at the Lodge offerings? They are good grill ware. Second hand cast iron is another option. I use a 12" deep skillet w/ lid most often. 12" Dutch oven is another must have. Besides a skillet, what are you specifically looking for?

I don’t think so? Maybe a grille spit, but it’s been hard to find one long enough as I have a combo grill.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
If you like diy projects and find one in rough shape, electrolysis is a fun, no scrubbing way to get it TOTALLY clean. It will strip everything.
You have to be ready to immediately season it though, it will rust immediately.

Otherwise, we recently purchased a Field Co #12. It is much smoother than a lodge, but not totally smooth like a vintage Griswold. It is light weight compared to a lodge. Cheaper than a vintage one in good shape. I don't have a vintage #12 skillet to compare to (if I did, I wouldn't have bought a new one 😂 ). We are still working on building up the seasoning, so I can't yet give a good review.
Careful though, electrolysis is addictive! I was doing horses shoes and stove parts for people last summer! It is an excellent way to clean up what others consider junk.

Buy some Lodge skillets. They don't need electrolysis. They are pre-seasonend. If you wish you can season them with Crisbee, Buzzy Wax, or vegetable oil.

Just season them. They need nothing more than that other than patience.

i have Lodge pan that was my dads and it is well over 50 and still going strong, as well as a Lodge 10 deep skillet that i also use on a almost daily basis. i feel Lodge are a great bang for your buck CI.

Lodge is a good buy for a new skillet. If you could locate a vintage Griswold or Wagner at a antique market or garage sale, they are better. They tend to be milled a little finer, sanded smoother, weigh less. You usually find them a with seasoning build up and not that pretty but if in decent shape other wise, can be restored fairly easily to top condition. Check that the skillet lays flat on a flat surface, and no cracks.
One thing I have read about the Griswold's and Wagner's is they are not always flat on the bottom. Spinners they are called. For a lot of money a Smithy or Field skillet could be had. They have a smooth finish and are lighter than Lodge. I just ordered my 3rd Lodge skillet from Amazon and it is to be delivered tomorrow. I also have a Lodge 7 quart Dutch Oven. I am very satisfied with quality of the cast iron from Lodge.

I like Lodge. Nowadays, they're not as smooth bottomed as they used to be, and some people sand them down, but I haven't found any reason to do that. I use a 5-inch skillet for eggs, and they slide right out. That one and an 8-inch skillet are my most used, along with 5 and 7 qt Dutch ovens.

Cast iron is so rewarding and fun to cook on. I would not go cheap. Lodge is good or Camp Chef has some decent offerings as well. I have old Griswolds and Wagners as well as some Lodge and Camp Chef stuff. I also have some Finex pans which are top shelf. Just a dream to cook with and easy clean. They are also a beauty to look at. I leave my 10" on the stove top all the time . It's a attention getter for sure. Drawback is the price and they are HEAVY!

My daughter has some Smithey pans and she loves them but also a bit spendy but they like Finex will last generations. I would start with Lodge and then watch the yard sales etc. and pick up on some of the old stuff to fill out a collection.

Stay away from anything made in China as you do not know what might be in the cast iron.I have Lodge for the last 25 years and am quite pleased with it 10 inch 12 inch pans and Dutch oven.Learn how to properly season and clean and you will have them to pass on to your children.I use pure flaxseed oil to season my cast iron works great.Start with Lodge as someone has said and you can go from there.Googd luck

Reactions: whistlepig
I have a lodge also I would recommend the dutch oven skillet lid combo since u like to bbq and smoke also. it's a win win :<). I think getting them all seasoned and broke in helps also with the non stick part. I had sticking issues with my fried rice. I think I just don't use it enough.

You kind of need to figure out your cooking style indoors, and then decide what you want cook over live fire. I have a lot of vintage Griswold and Wagner, and I have doubles on the smaller sizes because they are fun to cook on.
MUW7icz.jpg
5J8AeAO.jpg

JmoSYvB.jpg
I know you asked about skillets, but vintage griddles have bails, so I like them because of that.
IhDrRli.jpg
This is a Lodge 2-sided griddle, the other side is ribbed. I like this one very much.
ihE5NRY.jpg
This Lodge griddle is rectangular, with higher sides. It's a good one too. And.... if you have a trivet, it's a really nice serving platter.
XgeeFX2.jpg
kq3Aka6.jpg
All that said, I have a couple of vintage cast aluminum 'Magna-Lite' roasters made my Wagner. These are awesome.
GMAIbgu.jpg

Cast iron is so rewarding and fun to cook on. I would not go cheap. Lodge is good or Camp Chef has some decent offerings as well. I have old Griswolds and Wagners as well as some Lodge and Camp Chef stuff. I also have some Finex pans which are top shelf. Just a dream to cook with and easy clean. They are also a beauty to look at. I leave my 10" on the stove top all the time . It's a attention getter for sure. Drawback is the price and they are HEAVY!

My daughter has some Smithey pans and she loves them but also a bit spendy but they like Finex will last generations. I would start with Lodge and then watch the yard sales etc. and pick up on some of the old stuff to fill out a collection.
Tat's gonna be a big ole NO on the Camp Chef chinesium cast iron.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky