Cast Iron Cooking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You swiped my cornbread,  looks like mine !!

Gary

Hey Link, do you pre heat the skillet as well, or just the oven? I've always been taught with cornbread to pour the batter into a hot skillet to prevent sticking.

Thanks

Work gave me a 9 piece set last year that I'm still breaking in, but I have about 6 other pieces that are family hand-me-downs that I use everyday. My city wife was very resistant to using cast iron cause she'd never seen it before, well needless to say she is now a believer! Our regular pans have dust on them and can be found in the dark corner of the cabinet. It's especially great cooking breakfast sausage in them that I made.

Rowdy, I always heat my skilet with oil while preheating oven, gives it that beautiful color on the bottom!

Makes me smile seeing all this old cast iron still being used.
Kyle

Aw, you made me do it. I've had this Lodge DO combo sitting on a shelf in the basement, unused for maybe six years. It hadn't rusted, but it was dry and dusty and looking like a barn find.

What to do ... a quick light wash and a heated dry, then a pour of oil and some sliced potatoes. Meanwhile the lid serves as a plate for the draining paper.

Then afterward, pour off the excess oil and give everything a nice rubdown with that oily/salty drain towel.

Good to go!

I looked around online but I haven't found one exactly like it. There's a version where the top and bottom have helper handles like you'd see on a skillet, but mine just has that little tang that latches into the bottom.

We use our cast iron all the time, got it when we first got married and I think my mom or wife's mom gave it to us so its pretty old, We couldn't get by without it.

One of my wife's best friends who is single and lives by herself noticed we had a small iron skillet, and said "that's what I need " be just right for me to make my cornbread and cobbler in. So I looked around and and found one and the wife gave it to her last Christmas, She uses it 3 - 4 times a week

Gary

Looks Great, One of my very favorites

Gary

The more you use it the better it gets.

Gary

Yes, Cast iron hates disuse. OTOH that also means that there are bargains to be found from people who can't/won't maintain it, and they give it up for cheap.

But the versatility of cast iron can't be beat.

Reactions: appwsmsmkr1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky