• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cast Iron Biscuits

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
I baked these in the oven, but you can certainly (and we do when camping) Make these in the Dutch oven.

Preheat oven to 450°f. In the dutch oven I usually set it up for 350, and cook longer.

3 cups flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4" teaspoons salt
2 cups butter milk or heavy cream (when camping I use dried buttermilk and water. I think 1/3 cup of dried milk goes into 2 cups water.) Warm to 90°-95°
2 tablespoons melted butter

Mix all of your dry ingredients together (when camping I will mix everything into a 2 gallon ziplock at home and take to camp. If using dried milk then all you need to do is add the melted butter and warm water to the bag and mix).

Add warmed milk (or water if you used dried milk) and melted butter.

Mix until shaggy.

Spray Pam into dutch oven or cast iron pan

Divide into 8 equal biscuits. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup (spray it with pam it will help keep the dough from sticking. spray after every two scoops.)

Drop into skillet or dutch oven Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through and browned on top.

If you like you can add dry spices to the dry ingredients to change up the flavor.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks great . Been using my cast iron alot . I'll have to try this .

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Looks great . Been using my cast iron alot . I'll have to try this .
I'm not sure when the last time was that I used any of our non-cast iron pans :emoji_thinking: I almost always am cooking in cast iron. Its all I use when camping.

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
looks good from here, looks like a tasty meal

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looked at this the fist time on my phone . On the PC and my glasses on ,,, it looks fantastic .
Nice plate .

Braz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 25, 2017
Now that is the definition of "breakfast."

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Those look fantastic!! I’ve really grown to use my cast iron the most over the last year too.

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
2 cups butter milk or heavy cream (when camping I use dried buttermilk and water. I think 1/3 cup of dried milk goes into 2 cups water.)
1/3 cup dry milk powder to 1 cup water.
Plus you need a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of milk to make buttermilk.
Backpacking use 1/4 teaspoon citric acid powder in the milk powder.
Rest for 30 minutes after adding the water.

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Nice like these. We use to do fish frys in the backyard and make what we called pan bread. The difference was we didn't make it into biscuits we just filled the pan with the dough mix and had one big biscuit. Yes it was in a CI pan. When done dump it out and break off pieces.

Warren

Smokin' in AZ

Master of the Pit
Joined Jul 13, 2019
Killer breakfast!

Like!

I also remember making biscuits in the CI pan on a coleman stove when camping.

John

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Case that looks good!! Next batch of Biscuits I make I will try my CI just re-seasoned it.
Richie

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
That is one fine looking breakfast, I'd be thrilled to be sitting down to that! like, RAY

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like sawhorseray it is appreciated.

Warren

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.