Cast Iron Biscuits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
I baked these in the oven, but you can certainly (and we do when camping) Make these in the Dutch oven.

Preheat oven to 450°f. In the dutch oven I usually set it up for 350, and cook longer.

3 cups flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4" teaspoons salt
2 cups butter milk or heavy cream (when camping I use dried buttermilk and water. I think 1/3 cup of dried milk goes into 2 cups water.) Warm to 90°-95°
2 tablespoons melted butter

Mix all of your dry ingredients together (when camping I will mix everything into a 2 gallon ziplock at home and take to camp. If using dried milk then all you need to do is add the melted butter and warm water to the bag and mix).

Add warmed milk (or water if you used dried milk) and melted butter.

Mix until shaggy.

Spray Pam into dutch oven or cast iron pan

Divide into 8 equal biscuits. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup (spray it with pam it will help keep the dough from sticking. spray after every two scoops.)

Drop into skillet or dutch oven Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through and browned on top.

If you like you can add dry spices to the dry ingredients to change up the flavor.

49414501971_fbed31d034_c.jpg

49414024823_f21e7a1f2a_c.jpg

49414502011_ecb69e450b_c.jpg

Looked at this the fist time on my phone . On the PC and my glasses on ,,, it looks fantastic .
Nice plate .

Those look fantastic!! I’ve really grown to use my cast iron the most over the last year too.

2 cups butter milk or heavy cream (when camping I use dried buttermilk and water. I think 1/3 cup of dried milk goes into 2 cups water.)
1/3 cup dry milk powder to 1 cup water.
Plus you need a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of milk to make buttermilk.
Backpacking use 1/4 teaspoon citric acid powder in the milk powder.
Rest for 30 minutes after adding the water.

Nice like these. We use to do fish frys in the backyard and make what we called pan bread. The difference was we didn't make it into biscuits we just filled the pan with the dough mix and had one big biscuit. Yes it was in a CI pan. When done dump it out and break off pieces.

Warren

Reactions: sawhorseray
Case that looks good!! Next batch of Biscuits I make I will try my CI just re-seasoned it.
Richie

That is one fine looking breakfast, I'd be thrilled to be sitting down to that! like, RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky