Carne Salata ( Pork cushion proscuitto )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Boy, does that look fantastic Rick. Well done.

Point for sure
Chris

BTW: What's the difference between an Umai bag and a regular vacuum sealer bag. Asking for a friend.
The UMAI bag is porous and lets the meat dry in a controlled manner.

Reactions: gmc2003
Boy, does that look fantastic Rich . Well done.
Thanks Chris . It;s hard to stop eating it once you start .
What's the difference between an Umai bag and a regular vacuum sealer bag
The Umai bags are for making a dry cured product in the fridge . They let the moisture escape and keep the air out . No need for a curing chamber . They sell the sausage casings too .

So then it's not actually vacuum sealed?
Yes and no . Air is sucked out and the end of the bag is sealed . Just not for the same reason as you would for storage . The bags are a different material and thinner .

Thanks Chris . It;s hard to stop eating it once you start .

The Umai bags are for making a dry cured product in the fridge . They let the moisture escape and keep the air out . No need for a curing chamber . They sell the sausage casings too .
So it's porous, but maintains the vacuum somehow?

Chris

That looks delicious Rich! About done with harvest so looking forward to having more time to make lots of things...this might be my next umai project!

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
WOW Rich!
That is just an amazing piece of meat!
Just beautiful thin sliced like that!
Awesome job!
Al

Looks amazing chop.
Thanks bud .
My tight-A$$ might have to break down and get some cushions and UMAI bags.
It's fun , give it a shot . I checked Gordon's last Thursday . Cushions are up to $1.99 a pound . Average bag size is 15 pounds . 5 per bag . I use it for sausage and makes a good roast too .

Some Tillamook aged vintage white cheddar with that would be a very happy place. Very nice work!
Thank you sir . My Son is the Dairy manager at a local grocery . I just happen to have some Tillamook on hand .
WOW Rich!
That is just an amazing piece of meat!
Thanks Al .
Just beautiful thin sliced like that!
Yup . Nesco FS-250 . I bought it after Pop's recommended it . Hollow ground serrated blade makes a paper thin slice .
Thanks for the comments .

Reactions: civilsmoker
As usual looks fantastic Rich! If you want an idea, how about side by side UMAI bag VS 2 layers pink BP.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky