Carb Friendly Charro Beans using Black Soy Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What beans are you trying to replicate, Rudys?
Pappasito's. Only one's I had so can't say they're the best. I was surprised just how good they were and now I understand why so many people here are into them. Never had beans like that.

Pappasito's. Only one's I had so can't say they're the best. I was surprised just how good they were and now I understand why so many people here are into them. Never had beans like that.
Oh yeah, everything is pretty good there including the beans.

They do them more soupy if I recall correctly.
I also think they use chicken stock or chicken bullion rather than straight water and salt. So keep that in mind as you are tinkering trying to replicate their beans.

Reactions: zwiller
Is this method still working for you Carlo? I been soaking but might give this a go.
Oh yeah, made a pot just this Sunday. Used bacon that was on sale. I find the cured neck bones and stuff like that do the best but bacon is simple and no picking out bones.

The max 120min on the Instant Pot nails it every time.

You can also short cut and use a can of Rotel instead of buying Pico.
You can even eliminate the Pico/Rotel if you like but having that bit of tomato in the dish makes it sooooooooo good!

Give it a shot. It's soooo much faster than having a pot on a stove all day with these beans.
Let me know if you do it and how it turns out! :)

I’m thinking Mexican food is the ticket for me next week. Have a 5 lbs bag of precooked chicken thigh pieces from GFS to use up. Gonna spice it up with fajita seasoning and do fajitas all week. Charro will be the perfect side

I’m thinking Mexican food is the ticket for me next week. Have a 5 lbs bag of precooked chicken thigh pieces from GFS to use up. Gonna spice it up with fajita seasoning and do fajitas all week. Charro will be the perfect side
I LOVE chicken thigh fajitas. You will be eating well for sure!

Reactions: jcam222
Been a while since i made these Carlo. I going to half recipe this time. I tried freezing and did not really care for them after reheating. I recently made that KA Keto corn muffins which would be great with this. I just got some corn extract and going to try keto corn muffins from that.

Reactions: tallbm
Been a while since i made these Carlo. I going to half recipe this time. I tried freezing and did not really care for them after reheating. I recently made that KA Keto corn muffins which would be great with this. I just got some corn extract and going to try keto corn muffins from that.
I've tried freezing these and my cowboy beans, neither have a decent texture after thawing.

A half recipe should work fine.
Taking note of freezing them. I've never froze them so no idea what happens after being frozen. If they get mushy then I would probably attempt to turn them into refried beans :D

Looking forward to seeing how the keto corn muffins and bean combo turns out :D

A half recipe should work fine.
Taking note of freezing them. I've never froze them so no idea what happens after being frozen. If they get mushy then I would probably attempt to turn them into refried beans :D

Looking forward to seeing how the keto corn muffins and bean combo turns out :D
Great idea on the refried!

Reactions: tallbm
Made up a batch today using ham broth, bone and chunks of ham. I used 1 TBSP Podravka Vegeta Gourmet Seasoning And Soup Mix for the salt as I do in most these type dishes. This is a keeper. Will make some keto corn muffins to go with it.

20240108_152600.jpg

Last edited:
Made up a batch today using ham broth, bone and chunks of ham. I used 1 TBSP Podravka Vegeta Gourmet Seasoning And Soup Mix for the salt as I do in most these type dishes. This is a keeper. Will make some keto corn muffins to go with it.

View attachment 685272
Nice!!!
I made a batch after Thanksgiving where I saved up the stock from my cured and smoked pork shoulder hams.... MMMMM sooo good!
My buddy got a hold of them and then ate them all which was fine since it was at the end of the pot at that point but he was raving about them hahahaha :D

Keep up the good cooking! :D

Looks good Brian. I need to get these on the menu soon. I've got a couple bags of pulled chuck in the freezer. One of those may become tacos with a side of charro beans.

Looks good Brian. I need to get these on the menu soon. I've got a couple bags of pulled chuck in the freezer. One of those may become tacos with a side of charro beans.
Do have to watch the salt depending on what you adding. My last two batches have been a bit on the salty side. Pretty sure because of using ham broth and ham. I changed the recipe to 1/2 Tbsp salt for the future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky