Capicola / Buckboard Bacon Part 1 W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
I already had this in the freezer tonight for about 1/2 hour. I started reviewing some posts from the past and decided why wait and then have to thaw etc.

This is the same score as yesterday except I had him bone and net it for me.

No fancy injector here, a 5 dollar horse injector found at most veternarians I would think.

Made a double batch of brine.

It was to big for my usual plastic bucket so I am using a stainless pressure cooker pan.

To hold it down I filled a gallon Zip Lock with water, l will check and turn it for 3 days and do a test on it.

Just to clarify, depending on spicing this will be either buckboard or cooked capicola, every thing else is the same.

Thanks for watching.

Ok there Ron you are making buckboard bacon or capicola. Ok then what did you inject them with was that tender quick and water. If so thats interesting I have heard of it so I will keep a close eye on this one.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sorry, I thought I mentioned that. Yes 8 cups water and 2 cups TQ.

I was going to finish this tonight but had car trouble and had to get towed so I got home late.

I get a lot of questions about the fry pan test so, I thought I would explain my method. I used a filet knife and took a small plug out from about half the thickness or the middle to make sure it is cured # 1 and then fry it for #2 saltiness.

It passed both tests. Looks like ham, tastes like ham.

So I just put back in the pot without water and will finish it tomorrow when I have the time to smoke it.

Stay tuned.

Looks like this is going to be another great thread Ron...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

You are a wealth of Knowledge, we are lucky to have you...

Thanks Paul, that is very kind of you. Sharing is what it is all about.

We decided on Capicola. So we just painted it with Youshidas, paprika and red pepper.

All painted.

Spices added.

Wrapped for the night. More tomorrow.

It is a very thick soy sauce I get at Sam's Club. Good for all sorts of things.

Ok I'm still waiting and learning and really getting ready to see all the goodness that I know will follow.
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky