Cant smoke anything at all where I'm goin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike johnson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 9, 2012
Lacey, WA.
  Well it looks like I wont be able to smoke anything at all from Feb.-Oct. this year ( This is the winter there ). It just wont be possible. I will only be able to look at all the wonderful food that you all post on this forum. You see, I was just offered a job down in Antarctica. Yup that's right, all the way down there with my smokers left right here. I am just waiting on my paperwork to do all my physical, dental and psych evaluation and then its a go. How I see it is, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I will truly miss my homemade sausage and bacon and entering the Throwdowns, but I will surely enjoy the Aurora Australis for the couple of months or so of complete darkness. I wish you all the joys and the warmth of your summer to come.

You'll find a way, even if it's a cardboard box Alton Brown style smoke!! Congrats on the chance to go on an adventure like that, good luck and stay safe...

Mike.......... That's a cool job offer.....Congrats.... We will expect updates on Global Warming.... Pics of the Aurora Australias, and all the other neat stuff you come across.... Maybe even "penguin on the bar-B"....

Dave

Good Luck, Mike!!!

Don't let your beer freeze!!

You should have room to take an Amazing Smoker & some dust with you. Shouldn't have trouble cold smoking down there!

Bear

Talk about cold smokin... Congrats Mike.... be safe and keep warm...

Joe

Mike, what an AMAZING adventure!  As self-proclaimed science nerds you have no idea how envious my wife and I are for you.  Wintering over in Antarctica.  Wow.  Be well.  Be safe.  Take pics and post them here in this thread (if you can) so we can follow your time in one of the world's two deep freezers.

Thanks you guys. I am looking forward to this. I can only bring 90lbs. worth of stuff so space is going to be extremely limited. I will absolutely post pics to this when I am there. With 3 1/2 months of no sun im sure ill have plenty of time to follow this forum.

Wow! That is a deffinately a once in a lifetime oportunity! Congradulations and hope you have a great (and safe) trip - on  the plus side you might be warmer than Chicago with the weather they are getting! LOL

Wow! That is a deffinately a once in a lifetime oportunity! Congradulations and hope you have a great (and safe) trip - on  the plus side you might be warmer than Chicago with the weather they are getting! LOL
X2

I'm in Chicago and it's currently a balmy -10F/-26F WC. Started off this morning with -17F/-45F WC.

Mike, that certainly does sound like a fantastic opportunity. Will you be stationed on the boat itself, the Aurora Australis, or on the ice?

Good Luck and have Fun!!! Just imagine how AMAZING that first smoke when ya get back will taste!

Stay safe!!! Thumbs Up

Originally Posted by dls1
I'm in Chicago and it's currently a balmy -10F/-26F WC. Started off this morning with -17F/-45F WC.

Mike, that certainly does sound like a fantastic opportunity. Will you be stationed on the boat itself, the Aurora Australis, or on the ice?
I will be at Mc Murdo Station on the Ice.

Holy smokes! If you include our winter here, that's like spending 11 months straight in just the winter time. Now I understand why they make you take a psych evaluation! lol

Good luck bud. That sounds like a really awesome opportunity. In light of recent current events, I hope you are flying in and not taking a boat!

I'll be sure to send some pool party pics in July!
cool.gif

Mike, this is outstanding and exciting, although I miss you and your posts already!!!

That is such adventurous news!!! Will you please share anything you can???? I'd love to learn what you are eating and drinking there! Whether penguin carpaccio or whatever it be, I am so very interested in your menu and so please share!!!

Congratulations to you, on this next endeavor! WOW!!!!!!!!! Have safe and sensational travels! And PLEASE keep us posted! WOW!

Cheers! - Leah

Mike, this is outstanding and exciting, although I miss you and your posts already!!!

That is such adventurous news!!! Will you please share anything you can???? I'd love to learn what you are eating and drinking there! Whether penguin carpaccio or whatever it be, I am so very interested in your menu and so please share!!!

Congratulations to you, on this next endeavor! WOW!!!!!!!!! Have safe and sensational travels! And PLEASE keep us posted! WOW!

Cheers! - Leah
Leah, you always put a smile on my face. I will most definitely keep you all updated. It's not an adventure unless you get to share it with someone!

hopefully you won't get stuck in the ice like those folks just did.  What a opportunity that so few will ever see.  I want to spend a whole year in Alaska sometime that's on my bucket list.

I will be installing the HVAC equipment in a remodel being done to one of the dorms. They are gutting the interior to make more living space for the summer scientists. Basically they are down sizing the existing rooms to make smaller rooms to fit more people.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky