Cant get the heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joesmokes

Original poster
May 31, 2022
Hello all ive recently built my own smoker for the first time. Im having some issues with it though.. i cant tell weather my chimney is too small, fire box is too small or weather i just have it all completely wrong and need to start again?!
Ive got it upto 100 degrees but simply cant get it any hotter.. before i start again with it or i start cutting and drilling more wholes for air circulation can anyone give me any ideas or what to do please?

Thanks Joe
CEEF918D-D86F-4A3E-8F96-10D3E0FDD02F.jpeg

daveomak daveomak tx smoker tx smoker

Dave is a knowledgeable builder on site, and I'm pretty sure Robert has built or has a smoker similar to yours. Maybe one will chime in and help ya out.

...and welcome to the forums.

Chris

Reactions: joesmokes
Start with a 3" exhaust with a 90 deg. sweep elbow... and make it about 24-36" tall above the cook chamber....
How to connect the exhaust to the smoker....

mailbox int..jpg

mailbox ext..jpg

Reactions: joesmokes
daveomak daveomak tx smoker tx smoker

Dave is a knowledgeable builder on site, and I'm pretty sure Robert has built or has a smoker similar to yours. Maybe one will chime in and help ya out.

...and welcome to the forums.

Chris
Thank you Chris
Very new to all this but also very keen to learn thank you for the help

Joe

For sure a plenum and minimum of 4” stack to start but here is the calculator for working all the details out.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...eady-to-use-rev5-6-19-15.172425/#post_1264161
Thanks for the reply, ive tried this calculator out already and to be honest i couldn’t understand it. Hense why im asking for further help to understand what im doing wrong or what the problem is. Ill try the bigger stack and try again from there.
Thank you for the help
Joe

Check the distance at the end of the reverse flow plate.. Without calculating it, I think 3" would be adequate...

Also interested in a picture of your intake on the fire box.
I havnt got a picture of my intake at the moment as im away but its roughly the size of the palm of your hand. Then the intake between fire box and in to the cook chamber is roughly 14 inch x 4 inch an oval shape.

Check the heater? Is the pilot light on? It's unlikely to be an issue with the thermostat if the AC is still working and you've but needed with the wiring.

Last edited:
Ive changed the stack and put 3.5inch tube on with 24 inch of length on there. That has made a huge difference i can now get the cook chamber to temperature and im ready to cook! Thanks all for your comments advice and tips. It has all worked, i have now got a fully working smoker that i can regulate the heat with. I can get more heat in it than the picture shows also, i just havnt got a picture of it at the higher temp.

Attachments

• FBB0CC0E-A044-48F8-97E4-6E8B3304BE9A.jpeg
    FBB0CC0E-A044-48F8-97E4-6E8B3304BE9A.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 10
  • E9388CF3-A046-44B2-862D-0B0442E2FC40.jpeg
    E9388CF3-A046-44B2-862D-0B0442E2FC40.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 10477D82-AE91-44AB-A1C2-73D95F0890BA.jpeg
    10477D82-AE91-44AB-A1C2-73D95F0890BA.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky