Can't get enough smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gk0130

Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Hi All,

I have to admit I'm a relative beginner when it come to smoking.  I purchased a MES 30 and have been using it for about six months.

The problem is I just can't seem to generate enough smoke.  My ribs are tender and flavorful but they don't have a real Smokey flavor and I can't get a smoke ring.

How long can I  keep filling the little tray with chips.  It seems like I would have to do that every 20-30 minutes to get continuous smoke.  I'm concerned that the ash residue might make the ribs taste funny.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GK in Framingahm.

Hi All,

I have to admit I'm a relative beginner when it come to smoking.  I purchased a MES 30 and have been using it for about six months.

The problem is I just can't seem to generate enough smoke.  My ribs are tender and flavorful but they don't have a real Smokey flavor and I can't get a smoke ring. Next to Mesquite, Hickory has the strongest flavor. Have you tried 100% Hickory? What wood have you used? You won't get a Smoke Ring in an Electric Smoker as the little bit or burning wood does not produce enough NO2 gas to react with the meat. Some guys have gotten limited results burning  Charcoal Briquettes in the tray. Considering the ring contributes very little to flavor, most don't bother.

How long can I  keep filling the little tray with chips.Start to finish.   It seems like I would have to do that every 20-30 minutes to get continuous smoke. Yep, that's the problem with the MES. Most add the AMNPS Pellet Maze or AMNPT Pellet Tube to get long term no fuss smoke   I'm concerned that the ash residue might make the ribs taste funny. Ash can't get on the meat so can't affect flavor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GK in Framingahm.
 There are many posts on smoking with the MES. Some models work best with the Tube, others the Maze. Also look up the Mailbox Mod, makes it easy to hot or cold smoke in the MES...JJ

I just recently bought an AMNPS and a 40 lb. bag of pellets. The first smoke I did with it was a coupla' blocks of cheese. It ran just over 16 hours, non stop. I got all the smoke I wanted, that proverbial 'ring' and great hickory flavor.

At the risk of spending your money for you, buy an AMNPS and a bag of pellets and then chuck them chips in the dumpster. You'll never regret it.

Thanks for the feed back.   I was  thinking the 12" tube would be a good one for the MES.  I assume it would have to be placed on the bottom rack.  Not sure if the AMNPS might take up to much of the rack.

Thanks for the feed back.   I was  thinking the 12" tube would be a good one for the MES.  I assume it would have to be placed on the bottom rack.  Not sure if the AMNPS might take up to much of the rack.
The tube makes too much smoke for the MES. The AMNPS was designed and heavily tested specifically for the MES.

Okay I went ahead and ordered the AMNPS and a good supply of pellets.  Where in the MES 30 do you place the AMNPS when smoking?

Thanks,

GK

I'm not sure, but I purchased it about a year ago.

I use an AMNPS in my Mes 30 Gen 1.  I could never keep it burning--just wasn't enough air flow.  So I added the mailbox mod and haven't looked back since.  With the mailbox mod, it burns flawlessly and I get all the smoke flavor I could ask for.  Just make sure you always leave the top vent wide open!!!!

I still use the chip tray if I run out of (or don't have) the kind of pellets I want for a particular smoke.  It works OK, but you have to babysit the chip tray.

Gary

Last edited:

is a picture.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks everyone.
That's a Generation #2.

Try removing that little water pan from the POS slanted drip plate, and put the AMNPS right over the hole left by removing the water pan.

You can put a foil pan on the floor under the hole.

If you have trouble with the right side of your smoker being hotter than the left, pull that slanted Drip Plate out completely.

Then put your bottom rack in place, and put your AMNPS on the right end of that bottom rack.

If you have trouble keeping the AMNPS going, pull the chip dumper out a couple inches.

If the smoke gets too heavy, push the chip dumper back in.

Put a disposable foil pan in the center of that bottom rack for a drip pan.

Hope this helps,

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Bear.  I'll let you know how I make out when my AMNPS arrives.

Greg.

Did my first smoke with the new AMNPS in my MES30.  The AMNPS is a game changer.  No fussing with the chip dumper every 20 minutes.  I got about 3 full hours of smoke filling the AMNPS with a little more than a full row of pellets.  I used smoking ALs perfect timed ribs recipe.  Ribs were nice and flavorful, Smokey and tender.  Thanks everyone who told me about Amazin products.

Greg,

Did my first smoke with the new AMNPS in my MES30.  The AMNPS is a game changer.  No fussing with the chip dumper every 20 minutes.  I got about 3 full hours of smoke filling the AMNPS with a little more than a full row of pellets.  I used smoking ALs perfect timed ribs recipe.  Ribs were nice and flavorful, Smokey and tender.  Thanks everyone who told me about Amazin products.

Greg,
That's Great !!
icon14.gif

Everybody gets various times out of the AMNPS, but I always estimate 3 hours per row, and 9 to 11 hours on a full load.

Sounds like you're right in that area too.

Bear

Greetings all,  I have a new MES 20070411 gen 1 smoker and have seasoned it.

I have also the Amnp 5x8 which I would like to try this weekend on spare ribs.

Now I have read a lot on this fine site and would like to ask a few questions.

- can the water pan be completely removed or is it useful for the air flow ?

- for placing the Amnp in the smoker is it preferable on the lowest rack at the back right or on the bottom grease pan ?

I appreciate in advance your help.

Norm

Greetings all,  I have a new MES 20070411 gen 1 smoker and have seasoned it.

I have also the Amnp 5x8 which I would like to try this weekend on spare ribs.

Now I have read a lot on this fine site and would like to ask a few questions.

- can the water pan be completely removed or is it useful for the air flow ?

- for placing the Amnp in the smoker is it preferable on the lowest rack at the back right or on the bottom grease pan ?

I appreciate in advance your help.

Norm
In a Generation #1, the best place for the AMNPS is usually on the support rods to the left of the chip burner assembly.

I just cover my Water Pan with foil, and keep it in place. It keeps the direct heat from hitting the underside of the meat.

Bear

Thank you Bear for the helpful reply, another quick question do you also cover with foil the bottom grease pan?

I did a dry run today with pellets and heater set at 225F which I filled the Maze 5x8 with one row only and it lasted almost exactly 3 hrs. with TBS.

The pellets smoked without having to relight them once.

The MES temperature showed around 14 degrees less than the Maverick 735 so I ordered a $10.00 temp with probe to find which one is closest but I suspect  Maverick will win the day.

Take Care all,

Norm

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky