Canadian Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Canadian Group' started by dukeburger, Aug 1, 2016.

1. dukeburger

dukeburger Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Figured I'd post something in here for once...

Alright fellow canucks, what are your pet peeves?

Mine is converting measurements for recipes - What the heck is an ounce anyways and is it volume or weight?? [​IMG]

Let's hear 'em!!  [​IMG]  

2. wade

wade Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

And also what is a pint? If you follow an American recipe over here and use "pints" then the result is swimming in liquid. A "pint"is not even always a "pint" !

3. wade

wade Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

One of my Pet Peeves is the lack of good quality briquettes that are available in the supermarkets, garden centres and DIY stores. Most of them are so cheap that the bottom of the bags are full of black powder where they have crumbled. The smell as they are lit is so sweet and sickly that you dread what it is doing to the flavour of your food. There is also so much filler in them that amount of ash produced is almost a much as the original volume of briquettes.

Coming a close second are the shelves in the supermarkets that are full of charcoal that is labelled "instant light" and then the couple of bags placed at the end, almost as an afterthought, that that are not.

4. The fact that a whole brisket about 14lbs cost me $105 when I see them in the States for $30

5. damunro

damunro Newbie

To bad Miker Z, I hadn't checked the price out in Ont. but that sounds f'n nuts for neck meat ! I end up buying pork loin for 1.75 a lb and making smoked ham or pea meal bacon from it . Got some bass and perch pickling now for smoke tomorrow.

Cheers from Ontario.

Dave.

6. dukeburger

If you're ever in the Edmonton area, check out TGP wholesale market on the Yellowhead. I get my briskets from there at around $11/kg. Every other place I've looked has been at least double that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  7. dukeburger

Tell me about it! I got a bag of that Maple Leaf brand lump and I think I lost half of the bag through the grates.

8. Understand completely about the charcoal.  We have a local BBQ retailer here (Hamilton Ontario) called Chadwick  Fortunately for us they have a whole line of "very" high quality charcoal.

roger 

9. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

My biggest problem is finding Todd's pellets in the Edmonton area. Most times I end up using BBQ Delight pellets.
    Gary

10. Where the *&&&* are you buying your briskets? I just bought a 12 lb brisket AA/AAA, for $38.30, or $3.10/lb or $6.84/kg

11. The lack of available brand options for lump charcoal is a major peeve of mine. They have at the Costcos in Ontario but never in Winnipeg.