Canadian Pet Peeves

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dukeburger

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2009
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Figured I'd post something in here for once...

Alright fellow canucks, what are your pet peeves?

Mine is converting measurements for recipes - What the heck is an ounce anyways and is it volume or weight?? 
roflmao.gif

Let's hear 'em!!  
canada-flag-68.gif

And also what is a pint? If you follow an American recipe over here and use "pints" then the result is swimming in liquid. A "pint"is not even always a "pint" !

One of my Pet Peeves is the lack of good quality briquettes that are available in the supermarkets, garden centres and DIY stores. Most of them are so cheap that the bottom of the bags are full of black powder where they have crumbled. The smell as they are lit is so sweet and sickly that you dread what it is doing to the flavour of your food. There is also so much filler in them that amount of ash produced is almost a much as the original volume of briquettes.

Coming a close second are the shelves in the supermarkets that are full of charcoal that is labelled "instant light" and then the couple of bags placed at the end, almost as an afterthought, that that are not.

Reactions: Deezel13
To bad Miker Z, I hadn't checked the price out in Ont. but that sounds f'n nuts for neck meat ! I end up buying pork loin for 1.75 a lb and making smoked ham or pea meal bacon from it . Got some bass and perch pickling now for smoke tomorrow.

Cheers from Ontario.

Dave.

The fact that a whole brisket about 14lbs cost me $105 when I see them in the States for $30
If you're ever in the Edmonton area, check out TGP wholesale market on the Yellowhead. I get my briskets from there at around $11/kg. Every other place I've looked has been at least double that.

Last edited:

One of my Pet Peeves is the lack of good quality briquettes that are available in the supermarkets, garden centres and DIY stores. Most of them are so cheap that the bottom of the bags are full of black powder where they have crumbled. The smell as they are lit is so sweet and sickly that you dread what it is doing to the flavour of your food. There is also so much filler in them that amount of ash produced is almost a much as the original volume of briquettes.

Coming a close second are the shelves in the supermarkets that are full of charcoal that is labelled "instant light" and then the couple of bags placed at the end, almost as an afterthought, that that are not.
Tell me about it! I got a bag of that Maple Leaf brand lump and I think I lost half of the bag through the grates.

Reactions: roger47
Understand completely about the charcoal.  We have a local BBQ retailer here (Hamilton Ontario) called Chadwick  Fortunately for us they have a whole line of "very" high quality charcoal.

roger 

The fact that a whole brisket about 14lbs cost me $105 when I see them in the States for $30

Where the *&&&* are you buying your briskets? I just bought a 12 lb brisket AA/AAA, for $38.30, or $3.10/lb or $6.84/kg

The lack of available brand options for lump charcoal is a major peeve of mine. They have at the Costcos in Ontario but never in Winnipeg.

My biggest pet peeve is seeing what the American members pay for their meats. Every time I go to the butcher's I feel like I'm getting a prostate exam.

Injected rump roast.

oops...sorry this is the Canadian forum at least Vt used to be part of Canada.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: GaryHibbert
Yep measurements conversions as well as wet or dry measurements, Price of meat here or just about all of our pricing for that matter. The availability of things in Canada or lack there of to our southern friends. And ordering anything from suppliers that are not from here, the shipping rates are ridiculous in Canada or they won't ship here because of the hassle across borders!!!!!

Reactions: BulldogsCadillac
The only problem I ever had with Canada is all the Great Canadian Fishing Lakes are too long a drive from South East PA !!!

Bear

And here I thought you only hated us because we don't call it BACK BACON or PEAMEAL BACON.

I know a lot of commercial beef comes into the US from Canada. Supply and demand, I guess... So Canadian beef ends up inflated to US prices on the US dollar I would imagine. That's a 20% markup for you. There's got to be a Canadian somewhere in that cash stream that is making profit.

Last edited:
LOL----I don't care what they call Canadian Bacon---They can call it Pennsylvania Bacon if they want.

However I wouldn't call mine "Pea Meal" because I don't put Pea Meal on it.

The fishing up there is Awesome!!

Bear

I know a lot of commercial beef comes into the US from Canada. Supply and demand, I guess... So Canadian beef ends up inflated to US prices on the US dollar I would imagine. That's a 20% markup for you. There's got to be a Canadian somewhere in that cash stream that is making profit.

Oh we pay a lot more than 20% mark up compared to the US. I recall seeing a post on here were a member said they were getting ribeye roast for $7.99US/pound ($9.93 Can/pound), here we are looking closer to $30Can/pound last time I looked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky