Canadian Bacon For Easter (+ Photos!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
Its been a while since I had the opportunity to put anything in the smoker, so when pork loin went on sale recently, I put on my R95 mask, maintained a proper social distance and snagged 10lbs — and made plans for some Canadian-style bacon. :emoji_blush: This will not be a QUICK process, mind you. I've spaced it out over a course of around 5 to 7 days, culminating on Easter morning!

ON TO THE PIG PARTS
The loins were sold store-cut into 3.5 to 4.5 pound sections. I had a hair over ten pounds of pork and with some slight trimming of silver skin & fat, darn if I didn't hit the 10lb mark on the nose.
CBacon_10lbs_pork_loin.jpg

For the brine, I seasoned it up with garlic, California bay, lemon juice, and thyme. This along with a hefty amount of kosher salt, sugar, real maple syrup and cure.
CBacon_brine.jpg

Into gallon ziploc bags went the trimmed loins and enough brine to cover all four packets.
CBacon_brine_into_bag.jpg

Air squeezed out of each bag and now they're ready for the refrigerator.
CBacon_bagged.jpg

After three days of being in the brine, it was time to pull a sample out to test a slice for saltiness. Once tasted, I determined the pork was ready for the smoker.

FIRST: netting to allow these loins to be properly hung...
CBacon_netted.jpg

Then back into the fridge overnight to develop a proper pellicle...
CBacon_hanging_presmoke.jpg

Finally, Good Friday Smoking Day!
I preheated my gas Masterbuilt up to 180°F (and rising!), and hung the four loins.
CBacon_hanging_hot_smoker.jpg

After an hour and with temps inside around 220-225°F, I began applying smoke (a combination of 70% applewood, 30% hickory) via a pellet tube.
Here's a shot about two hours into a 5-hour smoke/cook.
CBacon_hanging_two_hours_in.jpg

Now, four hours in...not much longer!
CBacon_hanging_four_hours_in.jpg

After nearly five hours, internal temps hit 150°F and I pulled the lot from the smoker. A rich, dark mahogany color....
CBacon_just_pulled_smoker.jpg

I air-dried these for about 20 minutes or so (while I cleaned up the smoker, probes, etc).
Then into the refrigerator again for another day of 'mellowing.'
CBacon_hanging_post_smoke.jpg

Come Easter morning, we'll be sampling some of this bacon. Sorry there's no money shot—and believe me, I am anxious to try some!
Good thing I'm a patient man....

MORE TO COME!...

Wow! Looks awesome! Beautiful color...So, you used wet brine? Any chance you can share your recipe? I thought that three day is not enough to brine... I usually brine for 12 days but... will see tomorrow. Waiting for a money shot.... :emoji_wink:

I usually brine 5-6 days in the fridge after injecting 10% into the center of the loins. You got some great color there, if it's pink in the middle you'll be all set for some Easter Eggs Benedict! RAY

Reactions: couger78
Pre-Easter Sampling (of course I couldn't wait!): Nice uniform color; firm. Rich smokey flavor with a slight herbal touch. Aromatics certainly gave the bacon an additional complexity. Not too salty (always a concern when brining). Good balance between salty & sweet. Wife even gave it a thumbs up—and she's not normally a CB fan.
CBacon_sample.jpg

I try to keep wet brining CB to no more than three days. In the past when I'd leave the sectioned loins for 4-5 days, inevitably they came out far too salty and required multiple soakings and rinsing to make them more palatable. IF I'm using a whole (large) loin, I'd more likely go a bit longer in the brine, but with the four 2.5-3lb sections, three days seems to do the job.

"Three days in the brine; three days in the tomb—wonderful things can happen!"
Had to make an Easter tie-in. :emoji_blush:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky