1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Canadian Bacon Dry Cured (Step by Step)

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by Bearcarver, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thanks Ole Buddy!!
    Good to see ya!

Bear

2. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Bear , your Canadian bacon thread was my first adventure into cured meats , and where I learned proper use of TQ .
    Been doing them for about 3 years now . The results are fantastic . Thanks !
    20180106_212216.jpg 20180107_084222.jpg

3. Bearcarver

That looks Great, Chopsaw!!
    I'm glad it's working good for you & you're all enjoying Great Cured & Smoked Meats!!!

Bear

4. Along with a 9 pound pork belly, I trimmed up a nice pork loin from Costco and it is curing per the recipe/instructions on this thread. Cut into 3 pieces and each in a gallon ziploc. Rotated/massaged them this morning and they are already starting to firm up a bit. I plan to cure for 10 days and then smoke in my MES 30 with AMNPS. I'm toying with the idea of smoking one of them to about 140F and then putting it in a bag and using my Annova Sous Vide to take it to 145F for a few hours. Thoughts or experiences with the sous vide option?

Scott

5. Bearcarver

Hmmm, I don't see a benefit with changing to SV for the last 5°.
    I could see Cold Smoking it or Warm Smoking it to between 100° and 110° IT to get some good smoke flavor. Then SV it, using 145° for a few hours, until the IT hits 145°. After hours of Smoking, I wouldn't SV it for too many hours, or it could suck too much moisture out of it. I would recommend SV it Just long enough to get it to 145° for awhile.

Bear

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    gary s likes this.
  6. Good point. I think I'll experiment with 1 out of the 3...

Scott

7. Bear question what is CBP you sprinkle on CB
    Kit

8. Bearcarver

Hi Kit,
    That would be Cracked Black Pepper (CBP), with the onion Powder & Garlic Powder. Just light coatings, so it doesn't end up falling off.

Bear

9. oH...LOL ...seeing what it is , well duh somebody smack me please.:D

10. Bearcarver

LOL---No need---That is probably the #1 question I answer the most often.

Bear

kit s likes this.
  11. Neo

Neo Newbie

Outstanding step-by-step Bear, I may just need to go check out the loins tomorrow.