1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Canadian Bacon Dry Cured (Step by Step)

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by Bearcarver, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Thanks Ole Buddy!!
    Good to see ya!

Bear

2. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bear , your Canadian bacon thread was my first adventure into cured meats , and where I learned proper use of TQ .
    Been doing them for about 3 years now . The results are fantastic . Thanks !
    20180106_212216.jpg 20180107_084222.jpg

3. Bearcarver

That looks Great, Chopsaw!!
    I'm glad it's working good for you & you're all enjoying Great Cured & Smoked Meats!!!

Bear

4. Along with a 9 pound pork belly, I trimmed up a nice pork loin from Costco and it is curing per the recipe/instructions on this thread. Cut into 3 pieces and each in a gallon ziploc. Rotated/massaged them this morning and they are already starting to firm up a bit. I plan to cure for 10 days and then smoke in my MES 30 with AMNPS. I'm toying with the idea of smoking one of them to about 140F and then putting it in a bag and using my Annova Sous Vide to take it to 145F for a few hours. Thoughts or experiences with the sous vide option?

Scott

5. Bearcarver

Hmmm, I don't see a benefit with changing to SV for the last 5°.
    I could see Cold Smoking it or Warm Smoking it to between 100° and 110° IT to get some good smoke flavor. Then SV it, using 145° for a few hours, until the IT hits 145°. After hours of Smoking, I wouldn't SV it for too many hours, or it could suck too much moisture out of it. I would recommend SV it Just long enough to get it to 145° for awhile.

Bear

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    gary s likes this.
  6. Good point. I think I'll experiment with 1 out of the 3...

Scott

7. Bear question what is CBP you sprinkle on CB
    Kit

8. Bearcarver

Hi Kit,
    That would be Cracked Black Pepper (CBP), with the onion Powder & Garlic Powder. Just light coatings, so it doesn't end up falling off.

Bear

9. oH...LOL ...seeing what it is , well duh somebody smack me please.:D

10. Bearcarver

LOL---No need---That is probably the #1 question I answer the most often.

Bear

kit s likes this.
  11. Neo

Neo Newbie

Outstanding step-by-step Bear, I may just need to go check out the loins tomorrow.

12. ksprairie

ksprairie Newbie

B8128DFC-B8A6-4B75-82A7-6C797FDF8B69.jpeg
    Bearcarver,
    I cured a pork loin according to your Canadian Bacon Dry Cured step by step. I put the TQ on the evening of 1/13/19 so today is day 11. I rinsed one portion of it and sliced it in half to check to see if the cure went to the center. The color is pink, and the corner area above the fat seem is a darker bright red. Can you take a look at the picture and let me know if you think this looks ok?
    In this picture the pork loin is sitting on top of the beef bottom round that is on day 14 of your Dried Beef step by step recipe. That looks like it matches the color of one of your pictures.
    It has been over a year since I have cured and smoked anything, so I could use some back up here for peace of mind.
    I am rinsing, drying and applying seasoning tonight and smoking tomorrow. As long as the meats look ok, that is!
    Thanks for looking!
    KSprairie

13. Bearcarver

I would gladly take a look at the Pic & give you my opinion, but you forgot to add the pic to this post.
    However I'm guessing it's the typical color difference that we often see in Pork Loin---->> Two different shades of Pink, separated by a clearly defined line.
    Without seeing the Pics, I would say as long as the colors are "Pink & Red", you're OK. If there is some Gray or Brown--Not so good. However I'd like to see the Pictures.

Bear

14. Bearcarver

Thank You Neo!!
    Sorry I'm late, but I just noticed this comment.

Bear

15. ksprairie

ksprairie Newbie

Bearcarver,
    I can see the picture I uploaded, it’s right above my text in the above post. Can you see it now? If not, I don’t know what I did wrong....

16. ksprairie

ksprairie Newbie

I will try upload the pictures again.....

Pork loins sitting on top of the beef.

3D19CF70-B9BE-400E-9946-5C5E1374018C.jpeg

Pork loin below
    BFD5B8E1-05D8-44D3-A7E9-7504C0112AD4.jpeg

17. Bearcarver

I can see them both now:
    They look Great---The Beef looks exactly like it should, and like mine always look.
    And the Pork Loin shows no uncured area, and the color difference is like I said above----It's separated by a white line between two different densities of meat. It all looks Fine.

Below is a Pic I found long ago to show what you don't want to see:
    The pink is cured, and the Brownish Gray in the center is not cured:
    uncured cured pork.jpeg

18. maplenut

maplenut Smoke Blower

I had the same question when I did my 1st Canadian bacon cure. There is the unknown of what to expect when you cut it in half since we never have done it before(don't want to get ill)

But once I was shown those same pics from Bear Carver now I have no worries.

Good luck with the smoke.

19. ksprairie

ksprairie Newbie

Maplenut,
    Exactly! Those two colors kinda throw you off when you first see them. Thanks!

20. ksprairie

ksprairie Newbie

Thanks Bearcarver!! That’s what I was hoping to hear. .
    The picture of the uncured meat is so helpful!! I have wondered what it would look like if the cure did not get through to the center. Now I know. . That does not look good.

I smoked everything this morning, started about 6:30am and pulled them off at 6 pm. The pork was right around 150-160 and the beef was 160ish. They are cooling now, but I grabbed one of each and cut off a few slices. Mighty tasty!! Thanks SO much for your step by steps and your advice. It is so valuable.
    We are going to be enjoying this meat for awhile- if I can get it sliced, packaged, then stashed out of site in the freezer. My boys have already asked if I will make “chipped beef on toast” tomorrow. It’s a favorite! I just took 2 loaves of bread outa the oven so we are set.
    Thanks again!

8# beef bottom round, 9# pork loin
    9772F6C0-9CCB-4B0C-8FC8-F9F1F65F3CB4.jpeg

FCBBF081-BD49-4C41-BA3A-6C4E8385001D.jpeg

79E1AF09-4F6C-4EFB-A94F-7CD9F599DB4B.jpeg

chopsaw likes this.