Canadian Bacon Dry Cured (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All of my Canadian Bacon gets between 10 & 12 hours of Smoking.
The "Frying" before eating is just to warm it up, and not necessary, because it's already been to 145° IT.
Sorry, I didn’t finish reading all of your recipe TV
Bear
All of my Canadian Bacon gets between 10 & 12 hours of Smoking.
The "Frying" before eating is just to warm it up, and not necessary, because it's already been to 145° IT.

Bear

Sorry, I don’t finish reading all of your recipe before asking.

Sorry, I don’t finish reading all of your recipe before asking.

No problem. I just answered so nobody else gets confused.
All of my Bacons now get One Full AMNPS worth of smoke, which takes 10 to 12 hours to burn out.

Bear

Cured a loin with Tender Quick and brown sugar for 6 days and it's in the smoker now. First try. Won't be able to slice and eat until tomorrow afternoon. Just wondering what the affect of under curing would be.

Cured a loin with Tender Quick and brown sugar for 6 days and it's in the smoker now. First try. Won't be able to slice and eat until tomorrow afternoon. Just wondering what the affect of under curing would be.

As long as you do a short hot smoke to at least 145° IT, undercuring shouldn't hurt anything.

Bear

This is Bearcavers recipe. I like home made Canadian bacon, cheese, and egg English muffins through the week. I thought I could do better that the packaged Canadian bacon from the grocery. And I did by a bunch. This was well worth the effort.

hosOAxll.jpg

jTOy3R7l.jpg

rt3qxzdl.jpg

This is Bearcavers recipe. I like home made Canadian bacon, cheese, and egg English muffins through the week. I thought I could do better that the packaged Canadian bacon from the grocery. And I did by a bunch. This was well worth the effort.

Nice Job Whistle!!
Good Stuff---Love It!
Like.

Bear

Yours Looks Awesome, Doubles!!!
Nice Job, and Thanks for Showing!
I love that yours have a little Fat Cap on them---Mine are always too Lean.

Bear

Looks great . Leave one un-sliced if it's not to late . Double smoke it like a ham . Makes a great supper item .

Looks great . Leave one un-sliced if it's not to late . Double smoke it like a ham . Makes a great supper item .
Wow. What a great idea. They are still unsliced.
Yours Looks Awesome, Doubles!!!
Nice Job, and Thanks for Showing!
I love that yours have a little Fat Cap on them---Mine are always too Lean.

Bear
Thanks Bear. I like a good fat cap too. These were a bit lean compared to my usual, but still taste great.

Here ya go ,,

My second attempt at some dry cured candian bacon turned out amazing! Thanks Bear for the recipe! Kids were eating it up as I sliced it.

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_194948_010.jpg
    IMG_20201123_194948_010.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201123_192518.jpg
    20201123_192518.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 26
Looks Great, Smokedout!!!
That Pile Ought to last you for awhile!!
Watch those Young Fingers!!🔪

Bear

Hey Bearcarver Bearcarver - I'm putting a cured loin on tomorrow to smoke. It's a little "long" on the cure time (life, ya'know?) but I was wondering...

assuming the pork is fully cured (it is, I checked) - is there any reason to take it to 145+ IT, or can it be "cold" smoked since the smoke is just for flavor anyway, and the bacon gets pan fried before eating.

another question - my first batch I used hickory for smoke and it was fantastic. Have you ever tried maple?

thanks!

If I may, "I" believe as long as the finished temp before consumed is at least 145 degrees internal?
This is just my own thoughts, not science.
And now I bow to those that know.

Hey Bearcarver Bearcarver - I'm putting a cured loin on tomorrow to smoke. It's a little "long" on the cure time (life, ya'know?) but I was wondering...

assuming the pork is fully cured (it is, I checked) - is there any reason to take it to 145+ IT, or can it be "cold" smoked since the smoke is just for flavor anyway, and the bacon gets pan fried before eating.

another question - my first batch I used hickory for smoke and it was fantastic. Have you ever tried maple?

thanks!

Like already said above, As long as it gets to 145° sometime before anybody eats it, you'll be fine.
On the Maple, I've tried Maple, Cherry, Oak, etc, but I always go back to Hickory. It's the only good tasting Wood that is strong enough for my taste.

Bear

Reactions: Smokin' Penguin
Prepping (Day #1):
Weigh pieces to be cured.
Weigh proper amount of Tender Quick for each piece of Pork Loin—1/2 ounce (One TBS) per pound.

Bearcarver Bearcarver , will you please explain this measurement? I am reading lots of different posts and methods before I do my first, and I want to fully understand the formulas. I didn't see where you said what each piece of Pork Loin weighed, but the One TBS per pound is throwing me off. From what I have learned so far, with 1/2 ounce you can cure about 12.5 pounds of meat.

Rick

Bearcarver Bearcarver , will you please explain this measurement? I am reading lots of different posts and methods before I do my first, and I want to fully understand the formulas. I didn't see where you said what each piece of Pork Loin weighed, but the One TBS per pound is throwing me off. From what I have learned so far, with 1/2 ounce you can cure about 12.5 pounds of meat.

Rick

Rick I'm sure Bearcarver Bearcarver will get back to you on this when he sees it. You have to look at what type of cure is being used and get the right formula for that type of cure. I believe if you look Bearcarver is using Tenderquick as the cure in this post and the amount called for per pound is very different then Cure #1 which has a lot of different names. You can figure out which cure your using and what the proper amount of cure per lb is but ALWAYS double check the bag or container your using's directions to make sure your using the proper amount per pound of that cure before actually using it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky