Can wild cherry be used for smoking meats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
I have trees at the farm in Missouri that are wild cherry. Not sure if thats the wood everyone sells for smoking or if it is orchard cherry trees.

As long as it's not so wild that you can't catch it, any kind of Cherry should be Great!!
I'm sure it will be Awesome!!

Bear

It should be good, after you cut it, I would suggest splitting it and store in dry location. You should dry it for a year, also if it was me I would knock off as much bark as possible.

Last edited:
The fruit of it is very bitter remembering
from when i was a kid,cant say i would consider it a fruit tree let us know how it turns out

As long as it's not so wild that you can't catch it,

LMAO!
Bear, you are rather impish today. :emoji_imp:

I have trees at the farm in Missouri that are wild cherry. Not sure if thats the wood everyone sells for smoking or if it is orchard cherry trees.
I hunt down in St. James . Those cherry trees get huge . So depends on what you have , but they both work just remove any heavy bark .

The fruit of it is very bitter remembering
from when i was a kid,cant say i would consider it a fruit tree let us know how it turns out
I agree . The leaves are poisonous to the cattle from what I hear .

I LOVE WILD CHERRY!!!...JJ

I hunt down in St. James . Those cherry trees get huge . So depends on what you have , but they both work just remove any heavy bark .

I agree . The leaves are poisonous to the cattle from what I hear .

I heard it’s poisonous to horses aswell and can kill them if they eat the bark. A guy said cherry bark is like candy to them

Reactions: chopsaw
Heck I do that myself from smoked meat although I'm still kicking.
Vet never told about cows but did for horses, We would go around the fence row and cut them. Birds are a great distributor of the seeds.

Warren

I don't know much about Wild Cherry, and Cows or Horses...But...Does eat Oats and Goats eat Oats and little Lambs eat Ivy. A Kid 'ill eat Ivy too, wouldn't You...JJ

Heck I do that myself from smoked meat although I'm still kicking.
Vet never told about cows but did for horses, We would go around the fence row and cut them. Birds are a great distributor of the seeds.

Warren

Horses must have weak constitution, as Walnut sawdust can kill them too, without eating it.
Just using it for bedding can kill a horse, but not a cow.

Bear

A Kid 'ill eat Ivy too, wouldn't You...JJ

Umm, No. No, that doesn't sound appealing to me at all JJ.
No doubt I tried it as a kid, because we had Ivy by the front of the house. But it wasn't something I repeated.

I will admit to a long stem of sweet grass to chaw on occasionally though. :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky