Can this fridge be used for a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dockman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Climax Springs, Mo
My nephew has this 1940's Norge refrigerator and would like to turn it into a smoker. He has concerns about lead paint or type of materials it may be constructed of. What are your thoughts?
18858ff0baabe2cec9339528a1e5ebfc.jpg

33e86ebdb90e43f4ffd25cbda694e1b5.jpg

c39bcbaa7942805b2c6521e45f5c7f1d.jpg

Hello.  The inside of that fridge should be a porcelain coating.  The only concern should be the insulation between inner and outer walls.  I reckon you are good to go.  Others may have a different opinion.  Good luck and post some picts.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

what he said .....  LOL

there is some work involved , you dont just hook up and smoke. you need to split the unit apart, (porcelain tub inner from the outer) and check the insulation. check for tar and other nasty crap inside that can break down during higher temps. all the work is payed off big time with the satisfaction that you built it, and the goodies it can produce. there is an actual section on the site about fridge/freezer builds and everyone is more than willing to help a fella out and send ya in the right direction for parts and supplies. THEY SURE ALL HELPED ME OUT !!!!!

here is a link to my build, as it was my 1st there are a few things i would do differently IF/WHEN i do another. and as for a smoke gen i now use an external mod with the AMNPS or AMNTS as i have a supply of both ...  ha ha ha
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151047/coldspot-freezer-build

have fun and keep us up to date with your progress by posting pics

Goliath

Last edited:
Hello Dockman.  Yeah the insulation is the main concern and of course anything plastic inside the fridge ( I didn't see anything though ).  It looks like even the door has a porcelain interior which is GREAT!  Think the boy has got a winner here.  No matter the heat source I think this one will be an easy build.  The main problem you will have is cutting/drilling holes ect. through the porcelain.  I would use duct tape over a large area where I was going to cut/drill just like drilling into tile.  The drill bit will want to "walk" so a center punch will have to be used.  Don't go crazy; a center punch without cracking the surrounding porcelain.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky