Can I use the Traeger pellets in an AMNPS maze?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drewb0y

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
I have an AMNPS 5x8 maze and want to know if I can use the Traeger pellets in it with no problem. Mostly just want to be sure they'll be able to smolder and smoke instead of just burning all the way through. I just got these because they were available at the grocery store and I want to smoke today!

Also has anyone used the Jack Daniel's pellets? Is there a noticable flavor difference for the cost?

Attachments

• traeger.jpg
    traeger.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 13
I don’t think Traeger pellets are 100% of the wood you choose. They have filler hardwood in them. So your not going to get the same smoke flavor in the maze as you would if you use Amazen pellets. They cost a bit more, but they last forever if you just use them in the maze.
Al

I don’t think Traeger pellets are 100% of the wood you choose. They have filler hardwood in them. So your not going to get the same smoke flavor in the maze as you would if you use Amazen pellets. They cost a bit more, but they last forever if you just use them in the maze.
Al

And isn't the filler wood used to improve heat output? So Treager pellets might burn hotter than pellets from 100% flavor wood.

I have read the traeger pellets also use an oil for flavor and have very little of the fruitwood in them. I only use pellets that say they are 100% of apple or cherry. The one time I did use a different brand and it didn't say 100%, my cheese wasn't as good.

No filler wood isn't added to produce more heat, also Traeger uses oils to produce the flavored smoke, think they use maple/alder depending which part of the country they come from, filler wood is a lot cheaper than hickory/cherry/mesquite ect , blends can be good but I refuse to use fake flavored wood no matter what the makers say

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky