Can I use my new MES 40 under a porch roof?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jeff T.

Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
I see that the Masterbuilt documentation recommends moving the smoker out from under a roof structure. I have a deck that is open, but has roof over it. I really can't see any issues with heat but since it's white vinyl on the ceiling above the smoker, I'm wondering if my roof will discolor over time if I continue smoke under it. The exiting smoke seems to blow around and dissipates well, and I have ceiling fans that I can run. Anybody have similar situation or experience to relay?

I plan on moving it out from under the roof when weather permits, but I'd like to run it over the winter and on rainy days under the roof.
20180217_174612.jpg

Last edited:
Since I'm not standing on the porch nor have I ever been there, looking at the pic, I'd be concerned with smoke sneaking into the house, especially with what I think I see as a porch ceiling sloping downward as it travels out to the yard. That is a very deep porch. I assume also that you have a door and or operable windows along that exterior wall on the right side of the pic?

Though I love smoking meats, I really do not want to have the smell come inside the house very often.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
Over time, you 'might' get some discoloring from the smoke. But since these smoker put out a relatively light smoke, it should be quite a while before any this is noticeable. On a dead calm day, a small inexpensive oscillating fan can create sufficient air movement /breeze to dissipate the smoke.

In addition to smoke getting into the house, it might stain the roof a little. However, you can just paint it every few years. I would think the advantages of being able to tend to the smoker out of the rain, and close to the kitchen would outweigh any negatives.

I certainly don't think there is any hazard, if that's what you're worried about.

I have a 12 foot wide roofed over patio that runs the length of the house. I've had my MES 30 set up under it for several years and my old stick burner set up there before that.
So far I've not had any discoloration resulting from the smokers.
The MES sits 4 feet from the kitchen door which is screened, and within range of all the dining room, kitchen, and bedroom windows. We seldom get even a hint of smoke smell inside. When we do, thankfully Miss Linda just comments on how pleasant it is. Mind you we also have a large, wood burning fireplace.
So I would say count your blessings and set that MES under the roof.
Gary

I have a 10'x35' porch with a 13' high sloped ceiling. All my smokers live under that porch. As to discoloration from the smoke, I really do not see how the fairly small amount of smoke from a MES would discolor anything. Although your porch is lower than mine, you should be fine. I think the main concern is the potential for a grease fire and that being under a porch would be a problem.

Yep, I won't worry about it - part of the deck (can't see it in the picture) extends beyond the roof and that's where I'd normally be smoking. The time it runs under the roof shouldn't be an issue as I'll run the ceiling fans or place some other fan to push the smoker exhaust outwards beyond the roof then.

Much obliged all!

I have a couple of smokers under a patio roof & don't get any discoloration from the smoke, but we usually have some breeze blowing the smoke away. Sometimes I have to shut the patio doors to keep the smoke out of the house. And I also use a fan to direct the smoke away from the patio doors.
Al

You have plenty of info. to go one. BTW that's one heck of a deck.

Chirs

What I would do differently is to move the smoker closer to the outside of the deck when in use.
I believe I see a ceiling fan in use. That could help defray the smoke by running it forward or reversed to change the air pattern on your deck. (If it is raising the air, it will tend to move smoke towards the outside of your deck. Especially useful if the smoker is closer to the outside.)
But I wouldn't center the smoker under the fan the way you currently show it.

If you have a BBQ, maybe put your smoker beside it?

My MES sits on my 6' X 26' front porch for 8 years. I see no discoloration anywhere, but my wood & Log porch walls & ceiling are the same color as my house---A medium brown wood color.
As for the smell, the only complaint I ever get is the smoke smell on me when I come in the house.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky