Camp chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello!  I too was hoping to read a few reviews about Camp Chef but it's pretty quiet on this one. After reading other sites it sounds like a winner. My one concern is the 1 year warranty when the competition is at least 2. Any reason this would hold anyone back?

I have been using other camp chef products for years. I don't own one personally, but I have a little experience with camp chef pellet smokers. If I were looking for another smoker, I would certainly put them high on my list - real price/performer.

I have been watching them for about 5 years at trade shows. They just get better and better. They are doing some really innovative stuff - ability to dump pellets from the hopper, feature to dump ash from the burn pot without disassembling, etc. really smart design. Much better/faster product evolution than I see from most other manufacturers. 

I hung out with the CF factory guys for several hours at an event where they were cooking and I got to play with the smoker a bit. Nice unit, cooked great, easy to manage.  I personally don't like center burn pots very much (auger fires, hard to clean out, etc.). I personally prefer side burn designs like Yoder and Louisiana smoker - but the ash/fire dump feature on the camp chef goes a long way to fixing some of the issues with the center burn design.

As far as warranty, I have always received great service - not sure that will carry over to their smokers, but they are really good about other products. I bought a remote thermometer from them a couple of years ago and it failed several months after the warranty expired. I called them up, explained the problem, they said they had issues with the probe design (now completely re-engineered), and they sent me a whole new thermometer kit free. Nice thing is that you can call and actually talk to the guys in Utah who design/make/sell/service their products.

Reactions: c45br
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have a smoke vault 18 smoker that is made by Camp Chef.  I am by no means an expert, so take this for what it is worth.  It is my first smoker, and it is propane.   Easy to use, in my opinion.  Temps can be a bit touchy, but I have overcome that by just enjoying a beer or three while smoking.  It has done what I have needed it to do, and has been an easy to use setup.  Would I like one of those fancy plug and forget pellet rigs?  Sure, but for now, this is just fine.  

Hope that helps, and if not, well, nevermind.  LOL.  

Dino "RedRocker"

Hey Redrocker - if you ever decide to come over to the dark side and get a pellet smoker, we do group buys of pellets directly from the factory (Bay Area).

Hey Redrocker - if you ever decide to come over to the dark side and get a pellet smoker, we do group buys of pellets directly from the factory (Bay Area).
I have a smoke tube that I want to try in my Smoke Vault,  I just bought it at Target for clearance of about 5 bucks or so.  I might be interested.  Let me know when your next purchase is and how much.   Where in the Bay area are you?  

Our group is mostly in San Jose/Sunnyvale/Fremont. If you ever get down this way, PM me and I will give you some samples to try in your tube (I buy many hundreds of pounds at a time - you need a few cups).

We order a couple of times a year. We just received a couple of tons last Friday. However, if you only want a bag or two, somebody is usually willing to sell them at cost to hold you over until the next order.

I own a Camp Chef DLX smoker and really like it. I purchased the sear add-on and it really makes the unit very versatile. It smokes very well and the temperature stays very consistent. I live in South Texas and the smoker is on an open back porch. I've checked the temperature reported by the built-in probe with an external temperature probe and the two are always within a degree or two of each other. One feature I really like is the ash cup that is simple to remove and empty. I don't think some of the other smokers have this feature. I've smoked turkeys, pork loins, ribs, briskets and chicken at the recipe temperatures and the estimated times are very close. I've used the sear unit to grill hotdogs, veggies and etc.
The unit is well-made and was impressed with the fitment of the parts when assembling it. I really like the Camp Chef "competition" pellets which are a wood blend. I've used their apple pellets with some pork and the results have been very tasty. The pellets burn very cleanly and there is very little "dust" in the smoker and few ashes in the cup.
I've owned the grill about 6 months now and use it almost every week for something and have never had an issue with it. They are nice units and would recommend adding the sear unit as you've got a smoker/grill combo and can cook just about anything with it. Thanks!
TG

Reactions: c45br
I have the smokepro SE and love it, I have only had mine for about 4 days but have done baby backs on it and now have a pork butt on it. Someone else mentioned the build quality and I agree, parts seem to fit together nicely. I think dollar for dollar they are hard to beat, and the ash clean out is a great feature that no one else has

Do not ever order one of these from The Home Depot. I ordered it 3 weeks ago and between THD, YRC Freight, and Logan Outdoor Products LLC (the manufacturer), it has not been delivered yet.

THD sold it, fulfilled and shipped from the manufacturer. They don't want to take credit for anything else. Logan, the chose the worst freight company imaginable. YRC, simply can not handle the volume of their business, unable to deliver as quoted and have no trucks smaller that semis which means no rural delivery unless they can turn around in your driveway. Not during mud season!

Right now my smoker is passed off to a carrier with smaller trucks, that I haven't been told who it is, and that all tracking information says it was delivered to me today! I am SO sick and tired of talking to CS depts. of all three companies I could scream. I just hope the wait and frustration is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive used camp chef smoke pro for a month and have done pork butt, chuckys, baby back ribs, chicken, burgers, and kielbasa and everything has turned out great. Best investment ive ever made as far as cooking goes, don't miss my old rigg at all. It very easy to use, don't  have to do much baby sitting and you can concentrate on drinking more beer. 

I have had my smoke pro SE for over 3 months now and love it! I even did a reverse sear chicken breast on it that turned out perfectly. And smoked corn on the cob is to die for! Camp chef is a brand I will stay with

I smoked it in the husk also, pulled the silk and soaked it in ice water for about 3 hours then on the smoker set at high smoke setting for about 3 hours. Next time I may let it go longer and use the smoke tube to add more smoke flavor

Hiya Folks!

I'm new here and just found this forum looking for pellet suggestions.  I wish I'd have seen it earlier, just for research on the smokers here, but if nothing else it's reassured my mindset with buying a camp chef STX, which should be delivered 6/13 if it's on schedule, I just ordered it yesterday.  I think I got a pretty good price on it, listed at http://www.campsaver.com/camp-chef-smokepro-stx-pellet-grill and when I bought it yesterday, there was a promo for 20% off any full priced item, which is already listed at 399.99 so I paid 319.99 free shipping no tax.  I can't see the promo code when I pull up the link, probably not available to me anymore, but it works from my phone still, the code was "TAKE20".  The next lowest price I could find was 344.00 for the SE from wal mart, so I hope this was a good buy!  I'm really looking forward to all my future reading here, and hopefully some help learning the tricks.  I've grilled on charcoal for 20 years, my wife and I have spent the last 15 getting our marinades down pat!  I can't wait to turn the hot and frantic grill pace down to low and slow!  Thanks in advance to all for all the advice to come!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky