More smoke than my Cookshack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martoni

Original poster
Mar 4, 2024
SE FLA
Looking for more smoke than I get out of my Cookshack. Looking for maybe a verticle pellet smoker. Grilla Mammoth? Camp Chef XXL? Any input is appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
Why not add a smoke generator to the Cookshack? They make plenty of smoke.

Plus it allows you a cold smoke option in that box for cheese or herbs or salt or meats.

My bad, I was thinking it was a Fast Eddys. As SmokinEdge said a coldsmoke generator would be good option.

What model do you have? We have the SM-160 & typically use 4 ounces of wood. Four cubes about the size of a golf ball. For us this is sufficient smoke.

What model do you have? We have the SM-160 & typically use 4 ounces of wood. Four cubes about the size of a golf ball. For us this is sufficient smoke.
SM045. I put a ton of wood in the box, still don't get enough smoke for my taste. Maybe it's my senior sense of taste and smell not working as well as it did. Thinking of maybe going to a vertical smoker.

SM045. I put a ton of wood in the box, still don't get enough smoke for my taste. Maybe it's my senior sense of taste and smell not working as well as it did. Thinking of maybe going to a vertical smoker.
We tried 6 ounces a few times and found the taste too much smoke and bitter. The bitter might be the result of heavy smoke continuing once the meat passed 140'.
Cookshack has a customer support line with knowledgeable people, might give them a call. Also they have forum that is not as active as it use to be but search it for your topic and you might hit on some information.

I might go with the cold smoker, but don't like having to drill the hole in it.
How much smoke were your wood chunks making? What kind of wood were you using?

I have a 3x3x7’ wooden smokehouse that I used to smolder wood chunks in a CI skillet over a propane burner. That worked great but in warmer months I had difficulty maintaining a smoke temp in the 140’s and by turning down the burner could no longer smolder wood chunks.

I bought the cold smoke generator and am very happy with it. It burns a mixture of pellets and chips. It makes way more smoke than the wood chunks in the pan, plus is adjustable by the setting on the air pump, more air more smoke, less is less. Plus I can now cold smoke with no heat as an option as well, great for cheese, herbs, salt and meats if I so desire.

The smoke flavor is clean, not overpowering but ever present. It makes very delicious meats.

IMG_1779.jpeg

This is with the generator. This was after aired out. When I open the door the smoke is so heavy you can hardly see the meat.

IMG_1536.jpeg

If you look close you can see the tube from the generator emitting the smoke. This is on about 50% of the air pump setting.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky