Camp Chef griddle owners experiences please?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Looking at a Camp Chef 600 flat top griddle. I have lots of cast iron cookware, I'm good about seasoning it. However, this would have to live outside through Chicago weather. I would buy the correct Camp Chef cover for it. Will I be scraping rust off it before every use? Thank you.

If left out in the elements you probably will have to deal with rust. Grill and griddle covers are not warterproof and will not do a very good job of keeping the elements out. Griddles need to be properly seasoned, cleaned, season maintained and kept under roof. . .preferably a garage or closed patio. The drier the better.

I hope this helps,

John

would have to live outside through Chicago weather

If that's the case... I would oil it real good... inside and out... frame and all ... some good oil in a spray bottle... spray it down and then wipe it down... spray the rag/papertowel with oil as well,,, cover and hope for the best... of coarse it's gonna start deteriorating over time... But if the process can be delayed by oiling it.... well then

the side shelves fold down? get the largest contractor size heavy duty garbage bag, or if that is not big enough, get a bicycle gift bag and place the bag over the griddle first, then put your grill cover on. you might need to put cardboard on any sharp areas that might tear the bags.

you could even then put on tarp over your grill cover to add more protection from the elements.

If that's the case... I would oil it real good... inside and out... frame and all ... some good oil in a spray bottle... spray it down and then wipe it down... spray the rag/papertowel with oil as well,,, cover and hope for the best... of coarse it's gonna start deteriorating over time... But if the process can be delayed by oiling it.... well then
Both of my griddles live outside, I have a camp chef 32 here in NY with a hard cover and I have a 36 Blackstone in PA with both the hard and soft cover. No rust issues on either but, I do clean and spray with cooking oil after each use.

If your only need is the griddle portion and not use it as a grill I would get the Blackstone 36 pro.

I have it and it blows away the camp chef in almost every way. The handle on my side shelf rusted off in a year on the camp chef (again only a hard cover). The front grease trap is not nearly as good as the rear trap on the Blackstone. Given the weight of the griddle top itself, I think it will get tiring remove a greased top to grill.

Just my .02 cents YMMV

I have that exact flat top. I have had it for at least 4 or 5 years, and living in Florida, you know how much humidity we have. I keep it outside with a vinyl cover & I have no rust. I do spray it with Pam, before & after I use it.
Al

Have you considered getting the Camp Chef camp stove with the griddles. You can remove the griddles and store them inside the house in a closet or something when not in use? You can get the storage bags for them as well so they won't get oil on anything else. I have the Camp Chef Pro 90X camp stove with the griddles and love it. You can remove the griddles and have a three burner cook stove or buy the pizza oven accessory or the BBQ grill box accessory. I have both accessories and use them frequently especially the pizza oven but for more than pizza I've done cinnamon rolls or just regular biscuits in it as well. So much more versatile than just a flat top. The base will also fold up for transport and storage.

The side shelves will also fold over the top of the burners when the griddles are removed for even further protection. Mine sits outside all summer with no issues but gets stored in the pole barn during the winter when we are not at the lake property.

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

This is the entire set up broke down and bagged for storage or transport.

camp-chef-breakdown.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky